Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

When is a child old enough to go to a movie theater?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM
  • 18 Replies

I would love to take my grandson to see the movie The Lorax that is coming out next month, he is only 3 and I am not too sure if that is old enough, he loves his tv shows and dvd movies but he has never been to a theater. I dont remember the exact age mine were when I started taking them I would guess around 5 or so. In your opinion and your experience what is a good age?

by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smilesmile
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

BUMP!

sara_7106
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We've been thinking about taking my 2 year old to see Beauty and the Beast.  I know some other mom's who have taken their 2 year olds, and they have done great.  I think it depends on each child's personality, and I think you also have to be prepared to leave if it's not going well. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they're old enough when they can sit through a movie and be quiet enough to not disturb other people in the theater. It depends on the kid...at age 3 my son was fine, he could sit through a movie quietly, but my youngest is a chatterbox and even at age 5 she was too loud.

MicelG
by Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it depends on the child. My oldest daughter didn't go to see a movie until she was almost 4, because I knew she wouldn't sit through it. My youngest saw Tangled when she was 2.5, and sat through the entire movie in awe. I think if you feel your grandson can sit quietly through a movie, by all means take him:).

Geria09
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

His nana, me and his older cousin took my then 3 year old to see Cars 2 and he did surprisingly well.:)  Now that he is completely potty-trained, he can't sit still due to his nerve-racking obsession with the restrooms, lol.  We also don't take him often to the movie theater, only if there is a movie he would set long enough to watch, like Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked.:)

jltplk25
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was 4 I believe when he saw Rango in theaters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsNewman
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the child. We took our oldest two at 3 and 2 years old. They made it a little over half way through the movie, but our 3 yr old now can't handle a theater at all. She's all over the place. 

NovaChick26
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

they are old enough to go to the theater when they can sit through the movie or at least the majority of it . I took DD to her first movie Princess and the Frog when she was 2 yrs old

LowryCuisine
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I say take him. It all depends on the childs personaliy. DD could sit through a 4 hr movie as long as Grandma or DH held her. Even now she loves to sit in their laps and snuggle.

Jessica020410
by Jessica on Feb. 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I think 3 is a good age!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN