Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

ACURA We're So Sorry We Excluded Dark-Skinned Blacks

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM
  • 10 Replies

Acura has issued a full-on apology ... after we ran a story that the car company's ad people sought an African American actor to play a car dealer who was "not too dark."

The commercial -- which featured Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno and ran during the Super Bowl -- was cast by an agency that sent out a casting sheet, looking for a "nice looking, friendly, not too dark" African American actor to play the role of dealer.

Acura just issued this statement:  "We apologize to anyone offended by the language on the casting sheet used in the selection of actors for one of our commercials."

The car company added, "We sought to cast an African-American in a prominent role in the commercial, and we made our selection based on the fact that he was the most talented actor."

As for the language "not too dark," Acura says, "The casting sheet was only now brought to our attention.  We are taking appropriate measures to ensure that such language is not used again in association with any work performed on behalf of our brand."

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM

just unreal, wow

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM

who ran the story?

gmadiane
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I dont remember where I seen this first but its on a lot of sites and on the news and the view

Quoting jbyrd898:

who ran the story?

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Oh I was wondering because in the first paragraph, it says we ran the story...

Quoting gmadiane:

I dont remember where I seen this first but its on a lot of sites and on the news and the view

Quoting jbyrd898:

who ran the story?

baby
memekisses
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Woooow!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM
And??? The company paid for the spot and the actors, they get to choose who they want to represent their company
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I think I seen it on usa today first

Quoting jbyrd898:

Oh I was wondering because in the first paragraph, it says we ran the story...

Quoting gmadiane:

Quoting jbyrd898:

who ran the story?

rebekahmuse
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly I don't see why it's a big deal. Don't they usually cast mainly based on looks for most movies/ commercials? I don't see the difference between asking for a light skinned black person or someone chinese, white, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of people passed up for roles based on their weight, hair color, skin color and stuff of that nature all the time, you know? I always wondered how studios get away with that based on discrimnation laws. Maybe the movie industry is exempt from it? Or they have to word it a certain way...

gmadiane
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I must be in the minority in here that think its awful, if you have 2 equally attractive men both well spoken and could represent your company well and you go with one over the other because he is lighter, I guess I am disgusted by discrimination of any kind

MamaBear2cubs
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

So for what it's worth I think it's if nothing else tacky. I also think in the media it's more favorable to be light skinned or 'not to dark',what does that teach our dark skinned children? I think the spot should have went to the actor who did the best job but instead it went to the lightest actor who did the best job. They should appologize.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)