Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Breaking news about the "pregnant man" - did you see this?

Posted by   + Show Post

Apparently Thomas Beatie had his final gender-reassignment surgery and has now separated from his wife of 9 years, with whom he has three children.

He said, "Like all marriages, we have our ups and downs, and we’re going through a rough patch right now. At the moment, we’re separated."

What do you think of this news? Do you even care? :) If anything I guess this shows how normal their relationship was/is - susceptible to the same struggles as any other couple.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Replies (321-330):
MonaLisaMom
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM
3 moms liked this

It's rude to refer to any human being as an "it".

And as far as whether "he" is still a "she"... it's very short sighted.  Can you even imagine the horror of having your body betray you all your life, knowing you're one sex, and the mirror shows you something different, and reminds you of it daily?   Granted, I used to keep my distance from "those" kind of people too, so I know exactly how it can be. Scary.  Weird. Different.   But I had the occasion to get to know one of these people... and it took several months for her to even be comfortable talking about it because she's been judged all her life.  She is so giving, and forgiving, and an amazingly talented and intelligent person, and my life is richer for knowing her.  But "she" is so obviously male, and she's had no surgery.  Her voice,  her skeleton, the shape of her feet....mannerisms... but she plays down her male aspects because to the outside world, she is a woman.  I can't imagine the life she has led, and the hardships she has faced.  She could never bring herself to have surgery, although she was in a group and saw so many others go through it.  And I will NEVER regard a human being going through this as an "it".  What an amazing amount of strength it must take at times...to live in a "normal" world, when people regard you as an "it".    I count my blessings.

And for the record....having gender identity issues is a completely different thing than "being gay".

Ravvie
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh hun, I feel very, very sorry for you if you only have sex to make babies. You're missing out on a heck of a lot of fun.

My husband has had a vasectomy. We can't create babies any more (WOOHOO!) Does that mean that the relationship between my husband and I (a man and a woman) is somehow now a farce? What about a straight woman who has never had kids and is now completely unable to have children, maybe she's had a full on hysterectomy? Is her marriage a farce? What about an asexual woman? And if you want to answer, "Well God can easily still bless them with children! That's what miracles are for! Man! Woman! Blah blah blah!" allow me to counter...if God is so almighty and powerful, why is it that he can't make gay couples pregnant as easily as barren couples? Oh, that's right, he doesn't have to. They can have children; barren couples, gay couples, and trans couples have all been blessed with the same avenues to have children. Ever heard of adoption and surrogacy?

And no, I don't remember anything about "God's design" from basic Biology. I remember a lot of science but don't remember anything about popular mythology.

Again, your definition of "normal" and "expected" is NOT the rest of the world's definition, and that's what you need to get through your thick skull.

If you weren't so ignorant of real science, you'd know that there's plenty of "hedonism" in nature. Animals pleasure themselves all the time. There have been numerous, recorded examples of apes and monkeys masturbating and pleasuring each other outside of a breeding context. Animals of all species have varying kinds of intercourse with the same sex for various reasons...domination, submission, greetings, conflict-resolution, boredom, pleasure. Sex isn't black and white. That's how nature gets us to even want to proliferate in the first place, because sex of all kinds is multi-functional, feels good and is FUN.

If your whole objection to alternative sexualities is because you think that's what your invisible skydaddy wants, I guess that's your prerogative, but keep your version of religion the heck out of our relationships and stop harming innocent people with your unwarranted, unwanted, ignorant judgment. Go back to the puritan 1600's and pin a scarlet letter on someone. I think you'd be happier there.

Quoting KiraJenLove:

Straights only mention their sexuality when challenged by gays, e.g. during public protests by gays, or if the're hit on by a gay. And they're right - marriage IS, by definition, only between a man and a woman. Anything else is not "marriage". It's a farce.
And if a guy means "I like to pound vaginas", that's perfectly normal and expected. In fact, that's how babies are made. It's God's design. You do remember that from basic biology, right? Now please explain to me how babies are created through gay sex?

Yes, there IS a default sexuality; there are rules concerning human behavior, believe it or not. There is design. Gay sex is purely hedonistic and is not part of this design.

Quoting Ravvie:

"When a guy says, 'I'm gay', it means 'I like to take it up the ass." Yeah, well, when a guy says he's straight it means he likes to pound vaginas. What's the difference?

As for straight people not finding it necessary to run around and tell everybody that they're straight, I beg to differ. If that's the case, there wouldn't be a million homophobes running around declaring, "No homo!" and "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!", "Marriage is between a man and a woman!!!" and having to add, "I'm straight!" as a qualifier to every statement about another person's appearance, any positive opinions concerning alternative sexualities, when a gay or lesbian person is within five hundred yards, etc.

Gays, lesbians, and bisexuals shouldn't have to change the way they are to suit you. No. Its the other way around. YOU and others like you should stop trying to define a person entirely by their sexuality, then maybe folks can get on with their not-entirely-sexual lives in peace.

Terribly sorry that not everyone conforms to your personal ideal, but that's part of life. Everyone isn't you and doesn't want or need the things you might want or need. Some people want different things than you, some people need different things. You need to realize that, deal with it, shrug your shoulders, and let them do what makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. You certainly do not blame them for any discrimination that comes their way. Its not their fault, its the fault of the people (like you) who can't let them be.

It takes all kinds to make the world turn. A homogeneous world would be a massively boring world.

There is NO default sexuality. Not even in the wild.

Quoting KiraJenLove:

As I said before, straights don't have that same problem (being defined by their sexual habits), but gays, lesbians, bis, etc. DO. That is the very DEFINITION of thosse terms. When a guy says "I'm gay", it means "I like to to take it up the ass". It means nothing else to a straight person. Your sexual behavior defines you, but it doesn't define a straight person. That's just the way it is. Besides, straight people never feel the need to go around telling people they're straight. They just are. It's the "default" sexuality, therefore it is expected and assumed in most cases. It's only when you deviate from the default position when you have problems.

Quoting Ravvie:

What is this, I don't even.

Saying your a lesbian automatically defines your sex habits to strangers?

Um. Saying you're straight does the same thing! There is no difference! Its no more TMI than a straight person and there's certainly no more sexuality to it than it coming from a straight person! Believe it or not, gay, lesbian, and bisexual individuals DO have thoughts, needs, wants, and desires that aren't entirely sexual...just like every straight person out there.

Oh, and YOU might assume that everyone is straight until they "prove otherwise" but you are not everyone.

"If you were looking only for love, you could just as easily get that from a man." Maybe, but if you don't want love from a man, why should you have to get it from one?

Quoting KiraJenLove:

If you were looking only for love, you could just as easily get that from a man. Therefore, it IS all about sex.

Straight people don't have the same problem that gays do. The manner of sex is WHAT sets gays apart from straights, so simply by saying that you are a lesbian automatically defines your sex habits to strangers, which is TMI. Straights don't have that same problem; in fact, everyone is assumed to be straight until your words or actions prove otherwise.

P.S. - sorry about my previous typos - technical problems.

momtoto
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

couldn't possibly care any less

PacificNW1994
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I really don't care what adults do----whatever makes them happy. However, when you put children into the mix, its a whole new story.  Now, I don't think it is fair for the child to have to accept this strange combo.

Life is hard enough to deal with.  Now the child has to know that its mother used to be somebodies father!!!!  That is too much for even me to wrap my head around. There was a couple in Oregon.  The transgendered father carried the babies.  They had two children.  This was several years ago. 

Runnyisaac
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM
They were lesbians. If one of you now has a penis, the sexual attraction changes. It is really unfortunate that there are now three more children without an intact family. Was his wife going along with all the changes or was she a reluctant participate? She didn't seem to thrilled after the first baby was born. Now there are three. Who has custody of the kids during their "rough times". The woman had grown children, did she really want to start again?
krmom05
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Nope, don't care
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
courtneymamaof3
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
It takes a mans sperm an women's egg to make a baby. The momma carries the baby. Read the Bible:) Have a great weekend!!:)
debby1927
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I have never heard of him before and wierd that he is now separated from his wife of 9 yrs and had a gender reassignment to have children. WOW DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yardsalemom
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree, She is a woman if having babies, It's against GOD's creation to change our bodies Acording to the bible we should treat our bodies as temples meaning no pericing, tatoo's or sex change operations.

KiraJenLove
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't say I was only having sex to make babies; I said the purpose of straight sex is ultimately to make babies, even if it doesn't make a baby every time - your body is still trying to accomplish it. Couples who are infertile don't negate this, because they are the exception, not the rule. But that doesn't mean that their bodies or their sex wasn't INTENDED to create a child. Gay sex was NEVER intended to create a child, and therefore is null and void.
Adopting a child isn't "having a baby", it's borrowing someone else's child that someone else had by STRAIGHT sex.
So, because you say animals commit gay sex, that makes it OK for humans? Or are you bringing yourself down to the level of an animal? That is probably the worst argument ever used if the goal is to raise gay sex up as respectable and acceptable in civilized society.
Your use of the term "invisible skydaddy" betrays you as an atheist, and someone who refuses to acknowkedge the painfully obvious. I do feel sorry for your ignorance.

Quoting Ravvie:

Oh hun, I feel very, very sorry for you if you only have sex to make babies. You're missing out on a heck of a lot of fun.

My husband has had a vasectomy. We can't create babies any more (WOOHOO!) Does that mean that the relationship between my husband and I (a man and a woman) is somehow now a farce? What about a straight woman who has never had kids and is now completely unable to have children, maybe she's had a full on hysterectomy? Is her marriage a farce? What about an asexual woman? And if you want to answer, "Well God can easily still bless them with children! That's what miracles are for! Man! Woman! Blah blah blah!" allow me to counter...if God is so almighty and powerful, why is it that he can't make gay couples pregnant as easily as barren couples? Oh, that's right, he doesn't have to. They can have children; barren couples, gay couples, and trans couples have all been blessed with the same avenues to have children. Ever heard of adoption and surrogacy?

And no, I don't remember anything about "God's design" from basic Biology. I remember a lot of science but don't remember anything about popular mythology.

Again, your definition of "normal" and "expected" is NOT the rest of the world's definition, and that's what you need to get through your thick skull.

If you weren't so ignorant of real science, you'd know that there's plenty of "hedonism" in nature. Animals pleasure themselves all the time. There have been numerous, recorded examples of apes and monkeys masturbating and pleasuring each other outside of a breeding context. Animals of all species have varying kinds of intercourse with the same sex for various reasons...domination, submission, greetings, conflict-resolution, boredom, pleasure. Sex isn't black and white. That's how nature gets us to even want to proliferate in the first place, because sex of all kinds is multi-functional, feels good and is FUN.

If your whole objection to alternative sexualities is because you think that's what your invisible skydaddy wants, I guess that's your prerogative, but keep your version of religion the heck out of our relationships and stop harming innocent people with your unwarranted, unwanted, ignorant judgment. Go back to the puritan 1600's and pin a scarlet letter on someone. I think you'd be happier there.

Quoting KiraJenLove:

Straights only mention their sexuality when challenged by gays, e.g. during public protests by gays, or if the're hit on by a gay. And they're right - marriage IS, by definition, only between a man and a woman. Anything else is not "marriage". It's a farce.

And if a guy means "I like to pound vaginas", that's perfectly normal and expected. In fact, that's how babies are made. It's God's design. You do remember that from basic biology, right? Now please explain to me how babies are created through gay sex?

Yes, there IS a default sexuality; there are rules concerning human behavior, believe it or not. There is design. Gay sex is purely hedonistic and is not part of this design.

Quoting Ravvie:

"When a guy says, 'I'm gay', it means 'I like to take it up the ass." Yeah, well, when a guy says he's straight it means he likes to pound vaginas. What's the difference?

As for straight people not finding it necessary to run around and tell everybody that they're straight, I beg to differ. If that's the case, there wouldn't be a million homophobes running around declaring, "No homo!" and "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!", "Marriage is between a man and a woman!!!" and having to add, "I'm straight!" as a qualifier to every statement about another person's appearance, any positive opinions concerning alternative sexualities, when a gay or lesbian person is within five hundred yards, etc.

Gays, lesbians, and bisexuals shouldn't have to change the way they are to suit you. No. Its the other way around. YOU and others like you should stop trying to define a person entirely by their sexuality, then maybe folks can get on with their not-entirely-sexual lives in peace.

Terribly sorry that not everyone conforms to your personal ideal, but that's part of life. Everyone isn't you and doesn't want or need the things you might want or need. Some people want different things than you, some people need different things. You need to realize that, deal with it, shrug your shoulders, and let them do what makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. You certainly do not blame them for any discrimination that comes their way. Its not their fault, its the fault of the people (like you) who can't let them be.

It takes all kinds to make the world turn. A homogeneous world would be a massively boring world.

There is NO default sexuality. Not even in the wild.

Quoting KiraJenLove:

As I said before, straights don't have that same problem (being defined by their sexual habits), but gays, lesbians, bis, etc. DO. That is the very DEFINITION of thosse terms. When a guy says "I'm gay", it means "I like to to take it up the ass". It means nothing else to a straight person. Your sexual behavior defines you, but it doesn't define a straight person. That's just the way it is. Besides, straight people never feel the need to go around telling people they're straight. They just are. It's the "default" sexuality, therefore it is expected and assumed in most cases. It's only when you deviate from the default position when you have problems.

Quoting Ravvie:

What is this, I don't even.

Saying your a lesbian automatically defines your sex habits to strangers?

Um. Saying you're straight does the same thing! There is no difference! Its no more TMI than a straight person and there's certainly no more sexuality to it than it coming from a straight person! Believe it or not, gay, lesbian, and bisexual individuals DO have thoughts, needs, wants, and desires that aren't entirely sexual...just like every straight person out there.

Oh, and YOU might assume that everyone is straight until they "prove otherwise" but you are not everyone.

"If you were looking only for love, you could just as easily get that from a man." Maybe, but if you don't want love from a man, why should you have to get it from one?

Quoting KiraJenLove:

If you were looking only for love, you could just as easily get that from a man. Therefore, it IS all about sex.

Straight people don't have the same problem that gays do. The manner of sex is WHAT sets gays apart from straights, so simply by saying that you are a lesbian automatically defines your sex habits to strangers, which is TMI. Straights don't have that same problem; in fact, everyone is assumed to be straight until your words or actions prove otherwise.

P.S. - sorry about my previous typos - technical problems.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN