Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Bobby Brown: Whitney did drugs long before me

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

Is Bobby Brown responsible for Whitney Houston's downward spiral into drugs and ultimately her death? Many fans say yes -- but now the R&B star is speaking out and defending himself. Find out what he has to say.

The public saw Whitney Houston as a golden girl who could do no wrong until she marriedBobby Brown and her erratic behavior was eventually revealed to be caused by a bad drug habit. Now just months after her death, Brown says his ex-wife was an addict long before he entered the scene -- and even implies she was the one who got him hooked.

Brown stated his case in an interview with Matt Lauer for The Today Show to air on Wednesday.

"If I heard it once, I heard it a hundred times, and I know you heard it too," Lauer said. "Fans, people who say they were close to Whitney, say her life went downhill when she met Bobby Brown. How does it make you feel when you hear it?"

"It makes me feel terrible," Brown said. "But you know, I know differently. I think if anyone ever knew us, if anybody ever spent time around us instead of time lookin' through the bubble, they would know how we felt about each other. They would know how happy we were together."

Explaining that Houston was addicted to drugs "way before" they met, Brown said, "It's just... it's just unexplainable how one could, you know, [say that I] got her addicted to drugs. I'm not the reason she's gone."

"I didn't get high [on narcotics] before I met Whitney," Brown said. "I smoked weed, I drank the beer, but no, I wasn't the one that got Whitney on drugs at all."

The singer, who says he has been clean for the last seven years, saw his ex just a week before she died and thought she was clean and sober herself because she "had this glow about her that was just, you know, incredible. I'm saying to myself, you know, 'She must be... she must be doing really well,' because she looked really well."

When he got the news, he said, "I was hurt. I was hurt... because, you know, me being off of narcotics for the last seven years, I felt that she was, you know, I didn’t know she was struggling with it still. But at the same time, you know, listen, it's a hard fight. It's a hard fight to, you know, maintain sobriety that way."

Houston and Brown had one child together, Bobbi Kristina, who is rumored to be struggling with her own addiction issues.

Do you think Bobby is to blame?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sara_7106
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM
I think we can't judge without being in their shoes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

none of us really know what happened 

anjegirl
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this

The truth is that Whitney was a "bad girl" and a tough girl who had been doing cocaine for years when she met bobby and she got him into coke and crack and even heroine for a minute and bobby had never done any of those things---all of this was made clear in the press shortly after she died and yet millions of ppl around the world were online arguing about who got who hooked on drugs-----those who knew both of them before they got together have all had the same story to tell----Clive Davis "completely" changed her image by spending months to "change" who she had always been-----he introduced her as a sweet little church going "doll" and Dionne's niece to boot and the world immediately embraced her as "America's sweetheart" because that is exactly how Clive branded her as a young teen "bad girl"   He knew who she was and stood by her in her darkest times and even at the end when he knew she was still drugging he gave her a movie and huge advance on the movie that she had already blown through with her habit and she did all of this in the constant presence of her daughter----for a decade she had hidden from her friends and family and sat at home drugging, drinking and chain smoking in the presence of her daughter and meanwhile, bobby left her several times and during those times he got clean and stayed clean over the past 7 years and worked, something whit wasn't able to do and lots of ppl knew she was holed up at home with her daughter having people deliver her drugs----this is all Bobbie Kristina has ever known----and she has had numerous problems with drugs and gettin into her mother's drugs and bobby tried to take BK away for a while when things were so bad and she was young but Whit could charm birds out of trees and always begged him not to take her and she would go to rehab again and bobby would give in KNOWING that this was not a home for a little girl----whit often reverted back to her street kid ways and she could be mean and nasty and terribly selfish and was by no accounts a good mother or role model for her young daughter------her mom and Dionne and Bobby and her sister and lots more ppl tried very hard to Save Her and she didn't want or need saving because she was an addict----I am glad for BK that her daddy finally spoke out to defend himself against so many vicious lies that have been thrown around the universe which ar just that "vicious lies" with regard to anything about Whitney and Bobby and who did what to whom??? Whitney and Bobby loved each other deeply and he left her many times because she refused to clean up and I am sure she is horrified that the world has blamed him for many things that Bobby did not do ever to include getting whitney "hooked" on hard drugs and Bobby has been kind not to say so----everyone who ever knew them knows the truth and they all know how hard Bobby tried to get her off of drugs and they have come forward to say so and to say they did not kick him out of the funeral but clearly it was the families security team that kept on moving him and his friends and Bobby is not into drama and left before there was any-----he is kind and quiet and very shy around ppl he does not know and has never caused any trouble for the family except when both of them were addicts and higher than the moon----so that is the truth and Bobby faces the same battles with his daughter because of her mother and ppl just need to leave him alone to deal with trying to give their daughter a better future than her mother had----rip whit----I will always love you--ana

theresaphilly
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

NOPE, I believe she did drugs before Bobby and if she was alive she probably will still be doing them. Everyone is responsible for their own decisions!

MamaMandee
by Mandee on May. 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes they are!

Quoting theresaphilly:

NOPE, I believe she did drugs before Bobby and if she was alive she probably will still be doing them. Everyone is responsible for their own decisions!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TateTwo
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember reading news articles about her before she met Bobby.  One specific article had famous celebrities listing their favorite "drug of choice".  I remember that article also had Robin Williams listed as a serious coke head at the time.  The article mentioned that Whitney's DoC was a joint with a little coke sprinkled on it.  About a year later, she's hooked up with Bobby. 

Nah, she knew what she was long before she met Bobby.  Drugs was the way she handled "stress."

Mom2Goldilocks
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

How many times did he say "you know " ? I don't believe he was on drugs until he met her. She might have already had an issue but I think getting with him intensified her already existing issues.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
joyfree
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Poor Bobby is deep in denial... He may not have introduced Whitney to narcotics, but as two creative people with addictive personalities, they used together and their level of tolerance grew together. Pretty soon, you're an addict and wonder how it happened... First you start changing your friends, dropping those who don't use like you do, then all of a sudden, you're all alone in a room with a mirror full of cocaine and a bottle of booze, wondering how it got that way.

He doesn't see the truth for what it is. Maybe if he experiences a few more consequences(DUI?) he will wake up to the fact that he's an addict. Sadly, many people will go to their graves never knowing they have the key to their problems, and unfortunately, many times they take innocent persons to their graves as well. Thank God that He gave me the key to a booze-free life, with the help of AA, a good sponsor, and the fellowship. I've met my best friends in 12 Step rooms. Peace.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)