Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'Basketball Wives' Renewed But With Less Slapping & Glass Throwing

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM
  • 6 Replies

'Basketball Wives' Renewed But With Less Slapping & Glass Throwing

Posted by Kiri Blakeley

Basketball Wives
Good news -- or is it bad news? -- for Basketball Wives fans. The ladies are apparently going to act a lot more ladylike next season. No more pulling hair, slapping faces, punching, swearing or "glass throwing." Glass throwing?! Yikes. Anyway, after calls for the VH1 reality show to stop glamorizing "bullying," -- not to mention a lawsuit in which one cast member was attacked -- the show's production company has vowed to tone it down. The cast will now "work out their issues in a non-violent fashion."

Boo. I mean, yay! No, seriously, this can only be a good thing. Though, I imagine, those who regularly tune into the show are probably doing so for exactly what they've been seeing: Lots of drama, even physical drama. Okay, women beating each other up.

I'm not going to say this is what I would watch. I have little desire to see grown women acting like bullies and thugs. But the show has been pretty successful, so to change its formula could be dangerous. Then again, being on the show sounds dangerous.

Does behavior like this actually make grown women behave the way they see others behaving on TV? I don't believe so. Not at all. But does what happens on TV contribute to a general idea about a group of people? Does it help strengthen negative stereotyping? I think so. And some black women feel the same. Said former The View co-host Star Jones on Twitter:

It may be 'comfortable' to be quiet when women of color slap the crap out of each other & run across tables barefoot, but #EnoughisEnough.

At any rate, one wonders how much the show will actually be toned down. VH1 says that there will be "no excessive physical confrontations" on the show going forward. But what is their definition of "excessive"?

Do you think Basketball Wives had too much violence?

by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gmadiane
by Diane on May. 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM

never seen it

MamaMandee
by Mandee on May. 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM
I don't watch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Yes I do!Any word on Baseball Wives returning?

shadenn766
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

i read that shaunie o'neal stated that the upcoming season will be "less violent" ....how bout you make it "non violent" ????

stupid show that needs to be cancelled

shadenn766
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

you're not misisng a thing...on every episode they fight and throw drinks in each others face...i stopped watching 2 seasons ago...ive heard its worse

Quoting MamaMandee:

I don't watch.

BompsMum
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

the most recent episode- the one chick tammy said 'this is life' and i was like UM NO ITS NOT!!!

not every disagreement results in a fist fight, jeeze!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)