Just when we think Jenelle Evans of Teen Mom can't get any more up and down, she does the unthinkable. She gets engaged. In case you are wondering to whom (I know I was), try to keep up! It's Gary Head, her on again off-again marine boyfriend who is now her fiance.

This is in spite of their recent break-up and her reunion with Kieffer Delp (King of the bad boyfriends) and then her reunion with Head. It is so confusing, I realize, but that is exactly why it is a bad plan.

Her mom is said to approve of the engagement and Lord knows, Jenelle looks happy in the photo she tweeted of the ring. But why so soon?

I have no doubt that Jenelle is capable of turning her bad luck around and being happily married (OK, maybe that second part is a stretch), but why not wait?

The fact is, marriage is a huge commitment and while I highly doubt these two will stay faithful and together long enough to actually make it to the altar, engagement is a big step, too. 

Luckily, it is JUST engagement, though. Had these two eloped, I would have been singing a different tune. If they need a ring to explore actual commitment, then fine. But my guess is it won't last.

Of course, I hate to be a pessimist. They are young and many relationships start off rocky. Maybe they will beat the odds and have a lovely wedding and she will get Jace back and get her life together and get a good job. It's possible, right?

And between you and me that's what we all want. Even if we love to mock her or hate her or gasp when she does yet another crazy thing, what we all REALLY want is to see her succeed and be happy.

Let's hope this is it. I am not holding my breath, but I am also hoping they prove my cynical self wrong.

Do you think they will actually get married?

Image via MTV