condomsEveryone thought MTV couldn't sink any lower. That is until the casting call for Losing It appeared last week. The reality show would follow around virgins as they tried to knock boots, bump uglies, shag, occupy Vagistan -- you get the picture. The lure:

Do you want to take things to the next level? Like, are you ready to hand over your V card? Or do you have a friend who is ready to lose it? Young adulthood is a time for exploration. New relationships, fresh experiences and sexual firsts. Now MTV is looking to frankly capture that journey in a new series called My First. We’re looking for adults who are ready to go all the way. Let MTV come along on your journey… as you try to lose your virginity!

Tacky? Yes. Depraved? No doubt about it. But that's what we've come to expect from the network that introduced the world to "smooshing," "turnpiking," and "kitchin' ditchin" at the Jersey Shore.

So the backlash to the show totally caught me off-guard. People  blogged and tweeted about how reprehensible and immoral MTV had become. My question: When was it ever a pillar of morality? I love my MTV because of all that debauchery. I mean, what else are they going to air since they don't actually play music videos anymore?

Ultimately execs caved in to the morality police, pulling the plug on the show before it even got cast. Total bummer. Yes, it's a despicable concept, but I would’ve tuned in. There is something so mesmerizing about these tawdry reality TV concepts.

It's not so much the sex -- which MTV said they wouldn't actually show. It's more about watching these people who are so addicted to the idea of fame they are willing to give up their v-card on TV. Tell me that's not worth watching ...at least for an episode or two.

Would you have watched Losing It?

Image via fidelio/Flick