Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

'Bachelorette' Recap: Emily Needs to Chill Over 'Baggage' Comment

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM
  • 3 Replies

'Bachelorette' Recap: Emily Needs to Chill Over 'Baggage' Comment

Kalon BacheloretteTonight was the episode of The Bachelorette we have all been waiting for. It's the one where someone (but who?) called Emily's 6-year-old daughter Ricki "baggage."

The mystery a-hole was Kalon (big shock) who is a pompous jerk for sure. But her reaction to what was said on the show was so way over the top. Obviously, as a mom, I get that no one should ever call my child "baggage." But she was not there. She did not hear it.

If Kalon meant what he said he did -- that Ricki was going to be a lot of work for whomever married Emily -- then she kind of needed to chill. Because it's true.

Obviously Kalon knew coming in that Emily had a child and he is a jerk for suggesting that was a problem. And by all means, he had already overstayed his welcome.

But after knowing someone for a couple weeks on a nationally televises dating show and getting almost no time alone, to expect a man to think of Ricki as a "bonus" is just plain insane.

In my life I know women who would never consider dating a man with a child, like deal breaker, the end, case closed. So what is so wrong if a man has his doubts, too? Does he really deserve to have someone go "West Virginia hood rat backwoods on his ass?" Emily has every right to be mad, but calling Kalon a "bad person?" I am sorry, but no.

Obviously it is not Emily's fault that she is a single mom, but she does enter a relationship with some extra responsibilities and considerations. Some men might call it a welcome challenge. Others might call it a "bonus." Others might call it a baggage. But you can't say someone is a "bad person" because of how they respond to that. That is simply unfair and incorrect.

Some people are going to take a while to warm up to the idea of a child. If that person is not for Emily, fine. But to publicly scorn him, curse at him and call him a bad person just made her look oversensitive.

Sure, it was not kind what he said. But the dude came in on a helicopter, thinks he is Jude Law and wears pink. He deserved the boot on day one.

I don't really think there is a winner in this pack, though. She really got the bozo lineup.

Did you think she overreacted?

Image via ABC

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sara_7106
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Maybe a little. I don't think she thought he was a bad person for saying so much as he was for staying around if that's not really what he wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liz.1986
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I don't think she did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I didnt watch but as I said in another post, I would not want my kids called baggage!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)