Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Amber Portwood Is No Slacker Mom

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM
  • 10 Replies

Amber Portwood Is No Slacker Mom

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham
on June 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Amber PortwoodMTV's Teen Mom returned to the air Tuesday night with two explosive episodes. After three seasons with the girls (now women), it's easy to start to feel like they are part of a family. Unlike the girls on Teen Mom 2 or the girls who were recently on 16 & Pregnant, the women of Teen Mom have grown up significantly and they can still just break our hearts.

As much as Catelynn, Farrah, and Maci have grown up and all have their own stories to tell -- Farrah is moving to Fort Lauderdale, Catelynn and Tyler got to see Carly in New York City, and Maci put Bentley in daycare -- it was all about Amber Portwood on the premiere episode.

Her story just breaks my heart. I don't care what you think about her as a mom, she isn't a bad person. She just has so many problems.

Tonight we saw what we already knew would happen. Amber tried to kill herself and she was sent to rehab in California. As much as she seemed to improve in California, we also all know the sad truth about how all it ends up.

More from The Stir: 'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood's Prison Time Could Save Her Family (VIDEO)

Poor Amber. She misses her daughter and she is angry and confused as to why she was taken away from her.

It's so easy to say she is a bad mom or judge her decisions and the way she is. But it isn't our place to judge. She alluded in this episode to many problems with her parents and experiencing a lot of pain. This isn't really a surprise.

Girls don't really get pregnant at 16 and become drug addicts as young teenagers when they come from perfect, happy homes. Sure, it's possible, but for the most part, her pain was obvious.

This doesn't make it less heartbreaking. Maybe none of us have been in Amber's shoes, but as a mom, I can say I have experienced some of her feelings. I have felt incredible guilt, like I was failing at the most important job I am doing. I have felt confused about what matters and deeply sad.

Amber is doing her best just like all the rest of us. I hope people will watch her and try to find some space in their hearts for compassion for Amber. It's so easy to judge in your armchair from your house, but it's much harder to live a life and try to make things better. That is what Amber has the courage to do. Good on her.

This season is going to be a heartbreaker.

Do you feel for Amber?

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bklynmom5
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I feel for her!  It can not be easy to make mistakes and have the world judge you for them.  NO ONE is perfect.  But I hope she gets the help she needs.

MrsRussell1025
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM
No. She chose her five year prison sentence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I don't watch these reality shows. I think teen moms are slacker people---they got pregnant as teens instead of concentrating their time and energy on school, studying,planning for their future and being  moral and responsible girls. Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for her.Or any of them.But I do have sympathy for the poor little babies.

anxiousschk
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I don't feel for Amber.  She needs to get her stuff straight before she whines about not having her child.  

I don't feel she has her child's best interests at heart, and her choosing to go to jail for 5 years instead of participating in group therapy proves that to me.  

I certainly want her to do better, but I don't feel sorry for her. 

BeachMommy07
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM

well said

Quoting lga1965:

I don't watch these reality shows. I think teen moms are slacker people---they got pregnant as teens instead of concentrating their time and energy on school, studying,planning for their future and being  moral and responsible girls. Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for her.Or any of them.But I do have sympathy for the poor little babies.

BeachMommy07
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM

agree with everything you wrote..

Quoting anxiousschk:

I don't feel for Amber.  She needs to get her stuff straight before she whines about not having her child.  

I don't feel she has her child's best interests at heart, and her choosing to go to jail for 5 years instead of participating in group therapy proves that to me.  

lga1965
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Thank you!

Quoting BeachMommy07:

well said

Quoting lga1965:

monjerm01
by Monica on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Me too!

Quoting BeachMommy07:

agree with everything you wrote..

Quoting anxiousschk:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Not all of us! There are some exceptions, and I'm one. :)

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM
I feel sorry for her, but I don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)