Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Katie Holmes' 'five-year contract': Did she stick around for more money?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM
  • 6 Replies

When news broke on Friday of Tom Cruiseand Katie Holmes' divorce, everyone was suddenly a comedian. Your Twitter timeline and Facebook news feed were likely filled with your friends making hilarious (recycled) jokes about Tom "shaving his beard for summer" and Katie's "five-year contract expiring."

Turns out, the five-year contract joke may have some actual merit -- though it's not the kind of contract you thought. Katie and Tom did have a prenup before getting married in that enormous Italian castle, and she will receive a better payout for having crossed the five-year mark. 

"The contract calls for payouts to Katie in the event of a divorce, with specific amounts depending on how long they were married. We've also been told that a certain dollar figure may kick in after five years of marriage and another after 10," reports E!. Because she held out until after they'd been married five years, Katie will walk away with significantly more money than she would have if they'd split earlier.

With Forbes reporting that Tom made $75 million last year while Katie made only $5 million, she stands to get a considerable pay bump. It's also likely that Tom will be required to buy a home for Katie to live in with Suri, though he'll possibly put the home in their daughter's name, not Katie's. You can bet that his child support payments will be nothing to sneeze at -- he's got to keep his little princess in those designer kitten heels to which she has become accustomed.

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jun. 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM

interesting, but I doubt she would have stayed with him longer for money

BonneVie
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM
I full believe Katie is truly concerned about the Church of Scientology and its effects on Suri. Now is the time she would be indoctrinated into the cult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by Diane on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

interesting, you never know

liz.1986
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM
That's a weird prenup!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by Beautifully Broken on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:06 PM
I think she knew exactly what she was doing...before and after
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_7106
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Sounds smart to me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)