Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Cher upsets Mormons with alleged slur

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM
  • 17 Replies

Cher has upset leading Mormons by using a derogatory term in a Twitter.com attack on presidential hopeful Mitt Romney.

The pop superstar, who is a fervent Democrat, sent out a tweet on Friday (29Jun12), urging President Barack Obama and his aides to get organized or risk losing November's (12) election to Republican Romney, who is a Mormon.

Cher wrote, "I Feel if he (Obama) doesn't get all his DUCKS IN A ROW we'll b forced 2 listen 2Uncaring Richy Rich! The whitest man in MAGIC UNDERWEAR in the WH (White House)."

Her remarks have upset prominent members of the Mormon church, who wear formal garments known as "celestial underwear". The term "magic underwear" is considered offensive.

Mormons took to Twitter.com in droves to take aim at Cher, with one calling her an "anti-Mormon bigot", and another stating, "I guess she is another example of a celebrity who surrounds themselves with people who always tell them what they want to hear so that they don't have to think before they speak or tweet in this case."

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amirahsmommy11
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM
People are offended by everything lol magic underwear
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BompsMum
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it was rude of her to say that. She doesnt have to have the same beliefs but to speak on something she clearly has no understanding of is uncalled for.
gmadiane
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM

god forbid she voice an opinion

PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

People who have special celestial underwear and believe that the holy garment will protect them from fire, bullets, knives and other assaults if the person wearing the garments have kept all of their "temple covenants" should realize that they appear rediculous to the rest of us and to expect people to make fun of them.   

LampPost
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM
HA!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liz.1986
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

LOL! That's a bit ridiculous, imo.

BompsMum
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

i am not sure who told you that the garments are bullet proof, but you were told wrong. just because you feel it is ridiculous doesnt mean that it is to everyone. opinions are subjective, its ridiculous to think that just because you dont agree with something that others should expect to be made fun of.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

People who have special celestial underwear and believe that the holy garment will protect them from fire, bullets, knives and other assaults if the person wearing the garments have kept all of their "temple covenants" should realize that they appear rediculous to the rest of us and to expect people to make fun of them.   

PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I got it from a site on mormon stuff.   And yes, if you believe your underwear is sacred, then yes expect to be ridiculed.   It is no diffrent than someone wearing aluminum foil hats to keep the government from reading their thoughts.

http://mormoncurtain.com/topic_garments_section1.html

Quoting BompsMum:

i am not sure who told you that the garments are bullet proof, but you were told wrong. just because you feel it is ridiculous doesnt mean that it is to everyone. opinions are subjective, its ridiculous to think that just because you dont agree with something that others should expect to be made fun of.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

BompsMum
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

for some reason that link did not work, is this a lds church approved site? or one of the many sites that people start just to put out false information?

thats bizzarre that you think that ridicule is acceptable as long as you deem it ridiculous. if it doesnt have a huge affect on you, or bother you in any way, what do you care what people wear for underwear?

its ironic that cher who has more than once pranced around showing her butt for the masses, feels the need to comment on what other people wear under their clothes. i wouldnt exactly look to her for my religious views and opinions.

back to the site- most likely its about as reliable as wikipedia, you might want to look elsewhere for information on the lds religion

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I got it from a site on mormon stuff.   And yes, if you believe your underwear is sacred, then yes expect to be ridiculed.   It is no diffrent than someone wearing aluminum foil hats to keep the government from reading their thoughts.

Quoting BompsMum:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

BompsMum
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

i got it to work,

surprise surprise,

its an ex-mormon site. yep. i would definitely turn to someone who despises the church for my information.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting BompsMum:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN