Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Aurora Shooting Kills 'Dark Knight Rises' Office Sales

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
  • 4 Replies

Aurora shooter kills 'Dark Knight Rises' box office sales

August 6, 2012

By: Radell Smith 

The "Dark Knight Rises" losing money at the box office compared to "Dark Knight" domestic sales figures, and it is likely due to fear of movie goers after Aurora shooting.

In fact, as of Sunday, a mere 17 days since the movie opened to audiences around the country, 40 million dollars worth of sales had been lost in addition to the 12 people murdered and dozens wounded.

It was expected that this year's Batman movie would have eclipsed its predecessor by a large monetary margin on opening day, despite the absence of Heath Ledger, the Dark Knight star. But the entertainment industry didn't consider that a potential joker-wannabe would make an untimely entrance, of course.

Thus James Holmes, the Colorado theater shooting suspect currently in custody for the massacre, managed to take lives as well as livelihoods on that fateful night during the follow-up Batman movie premier. And it doesn't look like that will be changing domestically anytime soon according to the entertainment website E!

Some people have expressed a fear to go into the theater to see the movie that left so many dead or wounded. They don't know if a copycat will attempt a repeat performance at some time, so they prefer to wait until it comes out on DVD to see it.

And some don't want to see it at all, saying that violence has been glorified and minimized by Hollywood for too long, and the theater shooting highlighted what it is doing to society.

Others are slowly venturing out to the theater as they come to feel that there is no conspiracy between Holmes and anyone else that might result in more bloodshed.Yet despite the unwillingness of some to go and see the movie--or the delay by others, Dark Knight Rises is still ranked number one at the box office.

There does to seem to be hope on the horizon for international sales, at least, and that's likely due to the fact that there have been no theater shootings outside the U.S. to throw a wet blanket on the fiery film. In fact, with sales of $378.4 million overseas as of Sunday, the Dark Knight Rises is poised to enjoy almost double the earnings as that made by the Dark Knight in 2008, at least internationally.

Click on me to see what it's all about!

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
monjerm01
by Monica on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM
I'd be scared to go see it :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica020410
by Jessica on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:24 AM

I'm afraid to go or let my kids go. My DH went with friends the night after the shooting though.

Quoting monjerm01:

I'd be scared to go see it :/

sara_7106
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM
I won't go see it. We went to a different movie last week and I was anxious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I was worried/figured this might happen! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN