Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Teen Pregnancy and Television

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:29 AM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Do shows like teen mom glamorize teen pregnancy?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

Do you think shows like Teen Mom or 16 and Pregnant Glamorize teen pregnancy? Or do you think that it shows a real life that discourages teen pregnancy?

baby
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
DCR1
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM

It has a huge following, some with the hopes of that life, some following that life. I think in a lot of ways Thia age called Reality TV goes too far in what it does, because it shows these families raw uncut, and some surprises, no matter how bad the decisions are pop up in the interim, even with Basketball wives cut still on the rise are shows with people lying, scheming, hitting, fighting, cussing each other out and anything else one can think of and these shows are no different, there is no cuteness level in them, in Toddlers in Tiaras, thos little kids are so nasty, and the parents look like a bunch of idiots accepting that kind of lip service and hand action from their future abusers,get rid of this mess, creating monsters on all levels is never a good thing!

gmadiane
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I dont watch either show so its hard for me to judge but if I were to I guess I would say that it may not glamorize but it sure does not discourage, it may show the down sides but it also shows you can get pregnant and get on a tv show and make good money, I think they are a bad idea, sorry to the fans of the shows just my opinion

Melissa_anne
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I think it does both.

There are girls who get pregnant just to try and get on the show. 

but then there are girls who watch and see the actual harships of getting pregnant at a young age.  I think it just depends on how the person watching looks at things.

MrsNewman
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Teen girls want babies for attention. Shows like those, are giving girls just what they want. "Hey, I can get pregnant and be on MTV or TLC" 

What they show on tv is not "real"

sara_7106
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM
I agree. It's all about your perspective and many times how you are being parented as well.

Quoting Melissa_anne:

I think it does both.

There are girls who get pregnant just to try and get on the show. 

but then there are girls who watch and see the actual harships of getting pregnant at a young age.  I think it just depends on how the person watching looks at things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrschughes0891
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is supposed to be for young girls to be able to see the struggles of being a teen mom but it has a reverse effect because alot of young girls look at it and want to be in that predicament. 

SuperJo
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Quoting mrschughes0891:

I think it is supposed to be for young girls to be able to see the struggles of being a teen mom but it has a reverse effect because alot of young girls look at it and want to be in that predicament. 

I'm not completely sure, but I believe the originals from Teen Mom were paid to do additional seasons, as well as, being paid for magazine covers and such. To me, that glamorizes teen pregnancy and shouldn't happen. I believe these shows should show the ugliest side to the situation in order to deter other teens from getting pregnant.

workoutmom2b1g
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Not at all. I mean maybe parts of it, but they are pretty honest IMO. 

MyBuck_HisDoe
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM
There are some teens that may run with the first excuse. There has been certain episodes that have stressed the struggles of teen pregnancy and teen parenting. While other episodes because of personalities, how the teen mother lives her life and editing appears to glorify such an challenging stage in a young woman's life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)