Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

#1 of 4 Pop Culture Arguments That Need to be Retired

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

Women Aren't as Funny as Men

Vanity Fair

What You Say:

"I'm not sexist, or anything, I'm just asking: would Stripes have been as good had it starred Meryl Streep instead of Bill Murray? No, probably not. And I think it comes down to the gender roles that are assigned to us as children; boys are rewarded for being funny, girls are rewarded for being pretty. Society just happens to value- [and then whatever they say next. My brain actually shuts off whenever people start a sentence with 'Society' so I never know how these arguments end.]."

What You (Unconsciously) Mean

"A woman made me laugh in a movie and instead of just accepting that she was funny, I decided to hold this public discussion on the idea of funny women, because one time I read an article that talked about pre-assigned gender roles and I'd really like to tell everyone about it."

People love talking about whether or not women are funny. I don't know why. At some point when I was a kid, I, like you, met a girl who was funny and was like "Oh, case closed," and that should have been the end of it, but it wasn't. Comedy supersite Splitsider hosts this discussion a lot. It was covered in the New York Post as recently as June. 30 Rock did a whole episode about it last week.

I'm just so tired of it.

"A new study says women can also tell jokes? You don't say."

There are lots of people who are smarter and all around kinder than me, and I'm sure their reasons for wanting to end the "Are women funny?" argument are sensitive and important (sexism, and so on). I don't have any meaningful reasons; I'm just absolutely sick of this argument. It has been covered so often and from so many different angles that everything -- everything -- has already been said on the topic. Every new discussion can't help but being a round-up of past talking points, and if you still need to ask if women are funny, then there is no information that I could possibly bring you to change your mind.

The problem is that the people who have this argument don't actually want to change any minds; they just like having this particular argument. Over and over again. And, to be clear, my problem isn't that the argument is idiotic (though it is); my problem is that it's boring. I'm sick of seeing articles titled "Are Funny WomenFinally Mainstream?" and "Finally, a Hangover Movie for Girls" and "Look! Boobs that Joke!" every time a female-centric comedy does well at the box office.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara_7106
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM
I didn't know this was an argument....IMO women are funnier than men
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
msjoecool
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:22 AM
If stripes had starred a woman instead of Bill Murray it wouldn't have been the same movie. Private Benjamin was that movie.

I don't find Tina Fey or 30 Rock funny.
jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I love Tina Fey. Women can be funny too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I agree

Quoting sara_7106:

I didn't know this was an argument....IMO women are funnier than men

lga1965
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Tina Fey and the women of SNL are hilarious. They have an intelligent and people -oriented humor.

Men and their humor is too often crude.The exceptions are the men from SNL and Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

la_bella_vita
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I find both funny. lol

Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Yep, this is yet another gender-based stereotype that needs to die.

annismom10
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM
I have lived my entire life priding myself on the fact that i'm funny. Mom tells me stories about my elementary teachers writing about my dry humor and how bizzare it was from a 8 yo on my report cards. And my dry humor has always been more of a shield than a sword. I won't hurt people but i'll make you laugh if you hurt me.
I even use it here <3

So yes, in the days of 30 rock, SNL & 2 broke girls, can't we let it go once & for all?

I just about peed my pants watching 2 broke girls last night
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM

2 Broke Girls was really funny last night!!! 

Quoting annismom10:

I have lived my entire life priding myself on the fact that i'm funny. Mom tells me stories about my elementary teachers writing about my dry humor and how bizzare it was from a 8 yo on my report cards. And my dry humor has always been more of a shield than a sword. I won't hurt people but i'll make you laugh if you hurt me.
I even use it here <3

So yes, in the days of 30 rock, SNL & 2 broke girls, can't we let it go once & for all?

I just about peed my pants watching 2 broke girls last night

monjerm01
by Monica on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM
I agree!

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I find both funny. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)