Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Lindsay Lohan in 'Liz & Dick': Train-wreck TV - sit back and enjoy the carnage!

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM
  • 12 Replies

"Liz & Dick," Lindsay Lohan's corny "comeback vehicle," is so awful it makes the entire slate of Lifetime guilty-pleasure TV movies look like Masterpiece Theatre. 

But if you've got a bottle of wine (or three), and a living room full of other people to share the laughs, the unintentionally hilarious biopic of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton's tumultuous romance could be the perfect way to cap off your Thanksgiving weekend. 

From director's chairs on a dark soundstage (apparently from the acting afterlife), Liz (Lohan) and Dick (Grant Bowler) provide a confusingly creepy exposition, punctuating scenes of their decades-long love affair. Which, judging by this movie, was insipid, not sizzling, characterized by overwrought declarations like "I don't need a pool -- I've got a whole ocean in you." 

Or, from one of the star-crossed lovers' many rows: "You look at me like you loathe me," says Burton channeling a Basset hound. "I don't loathe you," responds Taylor. "I hate you!" 

Hackneyed script aside, the only time Lindsay resembles the British-born Oscar winner is in the film's stills. ("Liz & Dick" is pretty to look at; unfortunately, it's accompanied by dialogue and a cheesy soundtrack reminiscent of "Hart to Hart.") LiLo's infinity-packs-a-day rasp is jarring, as are scenes that reference Taylor's weight gain when played by the rail-thin redhead. 

Producers say one reason they cast the troubled starlet as Taylor is their shared experiences as child actresses later hounded by the paparazzi -- but that factors little in "Liz & Dick's" storyline. It's Burton, not Taylor, who's portrayed as the really damaged character, tormented by his infidelities and tanking career. Shouldn't they have focused their energies on hiring a couple with real chemistry? 

Obviously not: Considering the massive publicity Lohan has generated for "Liz & Dick," it will likely break audience records for Lifetime. 

So go ahead and join 'em. You might hate yourself in the morning, but it might be the last time you see Lindsay Lohan in a scripted role. 

"Liz & Dick" premieres Sunday, Nov. 25 at 9 p.m. on Lifetime.

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkParadox
by Beautifully Broken on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Wow, it sounds awful.
MrsNewman
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

i want to see it, it can't be that bad. lol

BeachMommy07
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM

She is NO Liz Taylor.

sara_7106
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Oh my
thingz123
by Cheryl on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel bad for Lindsey. Even when she is actually doing the right thing (working, staying out of trouble), people still waste an inordinate amount of energy trying to tear her down. I'm exhausted just listening to all the vitriol people sling around about her.

I guess I always feel bad for underdogs. I was raised by people who really had no business being parents, just like her. It is so hard to overcome all that crap. Not impossible, but very difficult. She is very self destructive, and people are only seeing the outward manifestations of all her crazy behavior-no one is really interested in understanding WHY she does any of these things. They think she is just taking drugs and drinking, stealing, crashing cars into people, etc. for the fun of it. I am pretty sure she doesn't do this stuff just for the hell of it. She's probably in pain and hasn't hit the wall hard enough to understand that she needs to find a better way to deal with all the garbage life has thrown at her.

I don't even know if I want to see this movie. I wonder if Robert Downey Jr. was picked on this badly when he was on the comeback trail. I doubt it. The way things are now, it's probably extremely hard for her to do a good job in any vehicle, the way people breathe down her neck and wait for her to fall flat on her face so they can sit back and laugh at her. I think she still has the talent in her, but it's so blurred and distorted by all the self destructive behavior that she does, we are all having a terrible time seeing it.

gmadiane
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM

not sure if I will watch or not

Lunarprancer
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I'm going to DVR it.

sarah.xo
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Quoting BeachMommy07:

She is NO Liz Taylor.

mommyg97
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I don't think I can bring myself to watch it.  I don't know why people are always saying she is a good actress!  She was never in anything "good." LOL She is a child actress that should have been long forgotten about, but since America has an obsession with her behavior she will continue to get bad roles.  Kind of like Brendon Frasier, Jennifer Aniston, and now Nicolas Cage.  But at least they had good roles at one point. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN