Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

#12 of 20 Biggest Pop Culture Disappointments of 2012

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM
  • 13 Replies

'Prometheus'

What we were expecting: A fitting continuation of the sci-fi classic "Alien" franchise, brought to us by the original "Alien" director himself, Ridley Scott. The advance hype billed "Prometheus" as a smart, scary, R-rated sci-fi thriller that would take full advantage of the 3D format, showcase a strong cast including Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron and Idris Elba, and someone tie-in to the original "Alien" mythology, without being a reboot, remake or direct sequel. 

What we got instead: "Prometheus" wasn't a total creative bust -- it does have a terrific performance from Fassbender as devious android David, stunning cinematography, and a very sharp, very tense second act highlighted by Noomi Rapace's unforgettably nasty bit of self-surgery. But it's slow to start, finishes in a chaotic jumble of giant mutant monsters and crashing ships, and overall inspires more questions (like "Who thought this script was a good idea?") than answers about the origins of the "Alien" series. You could argue that at least "Prometheus" rescues the series from junk like "Aliens vs. Predator," but it's still a disappointment that never comes close to the best of the franchise. 

Did you see it? If so, do you agree or disagree? 
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM
I didn't see it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

not my kind of movie, have not seen it

MayFlowerMomma
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Agree. I didnt even watch the whole thing. My DH did and he was so mad that he did

rockinmomto2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I saw it and I actually enjoyed it. It was more of a "thinking" movie than an alien movie. 

sara_7106
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Didnt see it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I have not seen it either. 

jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM

DH and I liked it.

SLMitchell
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Surprisingly, I have yet to see it.  We have it readily available to watch in our house, yet my husband and I have not gotten around to watching it.

Legaltype
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I slept through the damn thing.

MommySally
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Me and hubby enjoyed this one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)