Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

AJ McLean: “My Daughter Is An Inspiration To Stay Sober”

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

AJ-baby-500x500

For new dad AJ McLean, staying sober is “a daily thing.” But the Backstreet Boys star says his 3-week-old daughter Ava Jaymes is his greatest motivator.

“I can’t stress how much my daughter is an inspiration to stay sober,” McLean tells In Touch. “When I come home and she opens those big blue eyes at me, it’s the most amazing feeling I could ever feel. I’m not looking for sympathy. It’s a constant struggle, and it’s not as easy as you think.”

And although his daughter brings him great inspiration, the former boy bander admits that he recently fell off the wagon.

“A few weeks ago I had a really bad day, I was in a funk,” the 34-year-old popstar says. “I went out in Hollywood and had a couple of beers and maybe one or two shots.”

The singer admits that this lapse in his willpower has happened several times in the past year.

“This happened two weeks ago, roughly,” he shares. “Before that, I was sober for almost a month. Before then, four months. It’s been sporadic.”

McLean has battled with alcohol and drug addiction for more than a decade and has entered rehab three times (in 2001, 2002 and 2011).

“I will forever be an alcoholic and an addict in recovery as long as I live,” he tells the mag. “It’s an ongoing struggle, a daily thing.”

And now that AJ is a husband, father, making a solo record and working on a jewelry line, he admits life is “overwhelming” right now.

“[I'm] trying to be a good husband and a good father and deal with life on life’s terms. There is a lot going on. It’s been overwhelming,” he says.

In the meantime, AJ’s wife Rochelle has been busy posting sweet snapshots of their gorgeous girl via Instagram. Check out the latest photo that the proud new mom cations, “Perfection.”

by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Good for him!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bugdoodle313
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:45 AM
I'm glad he is being honest about the struggles of sobriety. I hate when people in the public eye make it sound like a walk in the park, I hope A.J. can keep fighting for his sobriety.
sara_7106
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM
I agree

Quoting bugdoodle313:

I'm glad he is being honest about the struggles of sobriety. I hate when people in the public eye make it sound like a walk in the park, I hope A.J. can keep fighting for his sobriety.

AngeLnChainZ
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

An addict never fully recovers, and he is right it is a daily struggle but I hope the best for him and his family!

I volunteer to save lives; What do you do?

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Keep it up AJ! 

BeachMommy07
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Quoting MamaMandee:

Keep it up AJ! 

Jennyp05
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM
I think he's doing a great job. Take it day by day, that's all you can do!!
monjerm01
by Monica on Dec. 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Good for him!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)