Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Julianne Hough Reveals She Was Abused as a Child

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

Julianne Hough may be smiling on the cover of Cosmopolitan this month, but inside the magazine she opens up about her dark history with abuse.

In the February issue, the former "Dancing with the Stars" pro reveals adults took advantage of her when she studied dance at London’s Italia Conti Academy of Arts as a child.

"While I was in London, I was abused, mentally, physically, everything," she says, adding that it got worse when "when I started hitting puberty, when I started becoming a woman and stopped being a little girl."

"I was told if I ever went back to the United States, three things were going to happen," she continues. "One: I was going to amount to nothing. Two: I was going to work at Whataburger. And three: I was going to end up a slut. So, it was like, I can’t go back. I have to be this person.”

It's an experience she hasn't talked about before ... but one that helped her connect with her character in her upcoming film "Safe Haven," where she plays an abuse victim.

During filming the director reportedly asked Julianne to improvise on set and recall her own London "horrors" as a way of revealing her character's past.

"I went from bawling to containing to laughing to crying again," she says of filming. "Josh [costar Josh Duhamel] was crying. I think it was the most therapeutic moment of my life.”

"Safe House" opens February 14.

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sara_7106
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Sad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

that is sad

awilliamson
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM
How awful.

She looks so much like Cameron Diaz!
BeachMommy07
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Quoting awilliamson:

How awful.

gmadiane
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM

sad

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Yeah she does! 

Quoting awilliamson:

How awful.

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
At first I wondered why talk about it now? But then I realized this ain't something you talk about evrryday. I know she really just want to forget it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN