Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Researchers: "Sesame Street" improves IQ in kids

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 7 Replies

Parents have known for a long time that Sesame Street could help teach the little ones their ABC's and 123's.

Now University of Rochester researchers have found that Big Bird and his friends may have expanded the kids IQ as well.

Researchers monitored the brain activity of 27 children aged 4 to 11, as they watched a clip from the PBS kids show.

MRI scans of the functional part of the youngster's brains were compared to scans of 20 adults who also watched the Sesame Street video.

Researchers say when brain activity in the children resembled that of adults...and those children scored higher on math and verbal tests.

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gmadiane
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I thought this was a cool little study, nice to hear something good about a tv show for kids and I grew up watching Sesame Street so I am a big fan of it

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I heard about this and think it is cool. 

MrsNewman
by Shayna on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM

My kids have never been into it, actually I don't even think i'v ever seen a full show.

MamaBear2cubs
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Very neat!

lga1965
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree! My kids watched since about 1970 and my grandkids watch now. It s really a sweet educational show. Its perfect for kids and grown ups who watch with them!

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

interesting

sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to watch Sesame Street growing up and my girls like it too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)