Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Miss America Contestant's Double Mastectomy Decision Draws Hate Mail

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 13 Replies

Miss America Contestant's Double Mastectomy Decision Draws Hate Mail

Allyn Rose, Miss MarylandAP Photo/Julie Jacobson

Allyn Rose isn't just a pretty face; she's also a strong-willed woman.

The 24-year-old Miss America pageant contestant (and current Miss Washington D.C.) has been vocal about her plans to undergo a double mastectomy as a preventative measure to reduce her risk of breast cancer—the disease that killed her mother, grandmother and great aunt.

And if that's not enough for one young woman to handle, she's also received considerable criticism for her decision, having adopted the pageant platform "Breast Cancer: Planning a Marathon, Running a Sprint," which she dedicates to her late mother.

"This can really help prolong my life. The beauty in my life is living, and my mother would have given up anything in her life to be here for me … for myself, for my kids, for my future husband, it was a very easy decision for me to make," she said.

Despite the backlash, the Maryland native is standing her ground, revealing that it was her father who first broached the subject of surgery when she was just 18 years old, two years after the death of her mother.

"I said, 'Dad I'm not going to do that. I like the body I have,'" she recalled. "He got serious and said, 'Well then you're going to end up dead like your mom.'"

So, the determined pageant darling made her decision and hasn't look back, explaining that, for her, it's not an ‘if' but ‘when' she will contract the disease if she doesn't take extreme preventative measures.

"It might hurt my body, it might hurt my physical beauty or whatever everyone else sees. But you know what? I want to be alive," she said.

The Miss America pageant will air live on ABC Jan. 12. If Rose is crowed the winner, she'll reconsidering the timing of her surgery, but should she lose, she'll have the procedure next June.

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM

that is a big decision for such a young woman but I respect it

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

She has to do what is right for her. 

KelliansMom
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM

my grandmother lost her fight with breast cancer and if God forbid my mother also got breast cancer I would be getting my breast removed to  I stand by her decision to go ahead with this procedure 

coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Backlash for wanting to live? Wow people are so superficial. Good for her! The women in my family gave had to do that, what a hard decision but one to be admired. Good luck to her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by Beautifully Broken on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer just before Christmas, and is about to have surgery and chemo.  It can spread to any place to the body....it's no joke!

jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry to hear about your mom. Best wishes to her and your family!

Quoting PinkParadox:

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer just before Christmas, and is about to have surgery and chemo.  It can spread to any place to the body....it's no joke!

Looking for the perfect accessory for your little Princess? Check us out at La Jolie Belle Boutique!

BeachMommy07
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Why the heck would she get hate mail? she is genetically disposed for BC  considering her family's history. Sad for this girl she is so young. Confused as to why she would get negativity surrounding her announcement.

valhallaarwen
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Quoting gmadiane:

that is a big decision for such a young woman but I respect it

Let's see from other articles I read, she is not doing this for fun.  She has a rare gene that will most likely give her breast cancer .  Please read the following from another article:

First diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer at 27, Rose’s mother’s cancer returned when she was 47 and she died three years later.

In addition, Rose’s grandmother and great aunt both died from the same disease. She has been found to carry a rare genetic disease – not the well-known BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes but another condition, a rare genetic mutation that puts her at risk. “For me, breast cancer is not a matter of if. It’s almost a matter of when,” she says.

This is why she is having it done.  I do wish the folks would print the whole story about why she is having it done and you have to be stupid to send hate mail to someone who is doing this because she may die.  This is not for vanity, this is for her life.  God, I hate stupid people who think they know what they want instead of the person who it will affect.

MrsNewman
by Shayna on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I wish her the best.

LoganTroyMom
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM
i hope she can get fake ones! losing part of ones femininity has to be extremely difficult mentally. what a difficult decision for her to make. nobody should criticize her.. would anybody be criticizing her if she had a just-for-fun boob job to take her to DDD's? pfft..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)