Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Aretha Franklin and Jennifer Lopez defend Beyonce's choice to lip-sync

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 16 Replies

Following the news that Beyonce lip-synced the national anthem at President Obama's inauguration, there's been a mixed response of anger and indifference from the public. Both Aretha Franklin and Jennifer Lopez have come out to say they don't see what people are getting all up in arms about in regards to the lip-syncing controversy.

"I thought it was funny because the weather down there was about 46 or 44 degrees and for most singers that is just not good singing weather," Franklin tells ABC News. "When I heard that I just really cracked up. I thought it was really funny, but she did a beautiful job with the pre-record."

Lopez had a different explanation for why pre-recorded vocals are sometimes necessary. She says that the venue was likely the reason -- in addition to the cold -- that Beyonce felt the need to lip-sync.

"Sometimes it happens when you are in certain stadiums and certain venues and things, they do pre-record stuff because you're going to have that terrible slapback," she tells Jon Stewart on"The Daily Show."

Were you surprised to learn Beyonce had lip-synced? Do you think it's a big deal?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyBuck_HisDoe
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
There's been a mixed response of anger and indifference from the public? I can't believe lip-syncing is that serious to some people. Do they feel this way because the lip-syncing was done at a inauguration? I'm trying to understand the backlash here. The pre-recording was her voice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by Beautifully Broken on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I say who cares. If she had messed up, everyone would have talked about that. So silly
thingz123
by Cheryl on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Whatever. I am past tired of hearing about this issue. I'm a singer myself, so I can understand what both Aretha and JLo are talking about. I don't find it a horribly difficult piece to sing, but I have never had to do it outside in the cold or deal with mechanical and/or physical factors that might have altered the way my voice sounds. In the end, it was her voice that everybody got to hear, so let it go people, let it go.

sara_7106
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Totally agree

Quoting PinkParadox:

I say who cares. If she had messed up, everyone would have talked about that. So silly

inmybizz
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

don't care.

erika9009
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

True, but I would rather see  a messed up REAL song done live than a prerecorded one.

I'm sorry, but if you are  a hired singer, then sing and do your best.  No one can sing pitch perfect all the time.  If they are going to do this, why bother having the person up there, just play the recording.

Quoting PinkParadox:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Just let it go already
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM

So,how did James Taylor and Kelly Clarkson manage to sing their songs live?

monjerm01
by Monica on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Me too.

Quoting sara_7106:

Totally agree

Quoting PinkParadox:

Aivlys_
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Because, they can actually sing.... :)

Quoting SandyLaxner:

So,how did James Taylor and Kelly Clarkson manage to sing their songs live?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)