Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Django Unchained Slave Toys Banned From eBay as Prices Spike Following Public Outcry

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM
  • 13 Replies

Django Unchained Slave Toys Banned From eBay as Prices Spike Following Public Outcry

Django Action FiguresAmazon

The Django Unchained controversy train just keeps on chugging along.

After getting slammed by everyone from Spike Lee to civil-rights groups, the embattled Quentin Tarantino film now has a new foe: eBay. The online auction bigwig has banned the sale of action figures based on the slave-themed spaghetti Western after its studio discontinued the toy line in the wake of public furor, per Deadline.

Since being pulled off shelves, the dolls have seen a massive price hike on eBay, with some reportedly going for as much as $2,000 for the six-doll set.

An eBay rep tells Deadline that listings for the action figures were yanked because they violated the site's offensive-materials policy, which reportedly boots products that "graphically portray graphic violence or victims of violence, unless they have substantial social, artistic or political value." This purportedly includes "racially or ethnically offensive language, historical items, reproductions and works of art and media."

The Jamie Foxx–headlined film has taken some pretty hard knocks since it was released last month: Lee blasted it in a seething tweet that trashed Tarantino's cheeky take on a sensitive subject matter, and the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network mounted an aggressive protest against the toy line and called for a national boycott.

It remains to be seen how the backlash will ultimately affect the movie at next month's Academy Awards, where it's up for five statuettes including Best Picture

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I havent seen or read much about this movie.

jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Yeah I hadn't heard much about it either.

Quoting jbyrd898:

I havent seen or read much about this movie.

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

gmadiane
by Diane on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I seen the movie, its ok but pretty violent

MommySally
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Looooooooove Q.T. movies, I haven't gotten around to seeing this one. I don't see why everyone is freaking out about these dolls, they are the characters from the movie......black and white dolls. Nothing to go and light the pitchforks over
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Loved this movie! I don't think people should be freaking out over the sale of these dolls. They are just characters from a movie.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Would dolls from"Roots" have the same outcry?
shadenn766
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

probably so...i wouldnt purchase dolls from either movie

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Would dolls from"Roots" have the same outcry?

shadenn766
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM

yeah, maybe they should sell holocaust dolls right along with them...(sarcasm)

Quoting seraphimsong:

Loved this movie! I don't think people should be freaking out over the sale of these dolls. They are just characters from a movie.

seraphimsong
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a movie. They're character dolls from a movie.

People look into things too much.

Quoting shadenn766:

yeah, maybe they should sell holocaust dolls right along with them...(sarcasm)

Quoting seraphimsong:

PerfectVirgo
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM
People get upset over collector dolls from a film, but not over blood and gore video games? That's crazy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)