Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Cougar Town Star Calls Out Hollywood Moms For Baby Weight Loss "Lies"

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 7 Replies

Nicole Sullivan on Cougar Town

Nicole Sullivan, who plays a couples therapist on Cougar Town, talked toUs Weekly about her frustration after the birth of her first son. She felt like an outsider because, "There just are not a lot of overweight people in Hollywood. I felt like the jerk who couldn't figure it out."

She didn’t understand why her weight wasn't just falling off, when so many other celeb moms were able to drop pounds immediately. "They all lie and say, 'Oh, I lost the weight running after the kids or breastfeeding.' It's not true!" She ended up losing 35 pounds through Jenny Craig (she's a brand ambassador) and now wishes she had that time back after her first child. "With my second son, I enjoyed the whole process of him being an infant more because I wasn't mad at myself. When you are mad at yourself, you are mad at everybody."

Do you think if she wasn't part of the Hollywood community she wouldn't be so hard on herself? There seems to be a "thin = happy" mantra that's more tied to the entertainment industry than the heartland of the U.S. Besides, if someone starts out thin and fit before pregnancy it's usually easier for them to lose the weight — celeb or not. Look at Claire Danes. She was tiny before she got pregnant, and she was tiny again right after giving birth. Same with Gisele Bundchen, who actually got hugely pregnant with her second child; but she was a supermodel before getting pregnant, and with good genes (and the time and money to spend on trainers) it's easier to lose the weight. 

And what about Adele? Adele wasn’t a toothpick before giving birth, and she’s not a toothpick after giving birth — but everyone loves her, and she seems comfortable in her own skin. Can’t we all just model ourselves after her?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gmadiane
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I think Hollywood has always portrayed unrealistic body types

jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

The "perfect" figure back in the 50's/60's was a size 8. Today it's a size 2. O.o

MrsNewman
by Shayna on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I think taking time to enjoy your infants and then figuring out the weight issue a few months later is the way to go. Of course eating healthly, drinking your water, and breastfeeding to help!

momdays
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I do believe alot of hollywood lies about how they lost the weight. They try to sell society these miracle diets, when in actuality, they have the money we don't to hire personal trainers and personal chefs.

monjerm01
by Monica on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Craziness.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I lost weight while pregnant due to gestational diabetes. The day after delivery I weighed myself and was 20 pounds down from my pre-pregnancy weight. Now that was NICE!...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_7106
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I wasn't a skinny Minnie before having my dd but did lose my baby weight very quickly. I think it depends on your eating habits, how much you gain during pregnancy, and genes. I do think that Hollywood promotes unrealistic body types for women though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)