Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Drew Barrymore: “Olive Will Be Raised Traditionally Jewish”

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
  • 2 Replies
1 mom liked this

t seems that new parents Drew Barrymore and Will Kopelman are in agreement when it comes to parenting their 4-month-old daughter Olive.

During an appearance on The View last week, the actress explains why the couple plan to  raise their daughter Jewish.

“He’s a nice Jewish man from a nice Jewish family,” Drew says of her art consultant hubby. “I’m a shiksa [gentile]. I do the seders and we do Passover. I haven’t converted yet, but Olive will be raised traditionally.”

“We had a very traditional wedding ceremony with Rabbi Rubenstein and I did the ketubah,” theBig Miracle star adds of her Californian wedding 8 months ago.  “We wore the yamakas and we did the chuppah.”

Drew calls Judaism “a beautiful faith” and said she’s “so honored” to be around it.

“It’s so family-oriented,” she comments. “The stories are so beautiful and it’s incredibly enlightening. I’m really happy.”

Olive also brings her mother happiness and joy.

“[Olive] actually has made me a morning person, so she’s already made me a better person in every way possible,” Drew gushes “I’m like Godzilla in the morning. . . before I’ve had that cup of caffeine and with her, I sing her Good Morning with my husband from Singing in the Rain every day. She has the biggest smile and it’s the first time I’ve smiled in the morning. I love it!”

It seems the first time mama is turning to a famous friend for advice – not on parenting but on dealing with the paparazzi.

“(I’ve been) crying for two months about having to take my daughter outside into this very tumultuous world that has no protection for people. I agree with other countries when they won’t allow the kids to be photographed. I think there has to be a limit and we teach our children boundaries, and yet the world doesn’t have any boundaries to our children and that is an anomaly that I do not support.”

Drew reveals that she’s  turned to legendary filmmaker Steven Spielberg for guidance on how to handle the shutterbugs, who seem to have no qualms about snapping pictures of her child.

“They make so much money, it’s crazy, it’s like going against the most evil force that you’ll never win against,” she says. “But maybe there’s something we can do. I need to look deeper into it… Unless I was to move underground with no windows, there’s no way to avoid this, so I thought about the people that I look up to… People who have grace and they seem happy and they give us an example of how to behave.”

“I talked to my husband… He’s someone I think about when I think about that kind of person; I talk to his family, who I love. I talk to my godfather Steven Spielberg; I seek advice from him,” she adds.

Drew and Will welcomed Olive on September 26, 2012.

New parents Drew Barrymore and Will Kopelman take their daughter Olive for stroll around Madison Avenue in New York City

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

That's Nice. 

sara_7106
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Awesome that they agree
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)