Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Fun Fact 2/2

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

Toni Collette

You could say the the Australian actress began putting on a show early in life. 

When she was just 11 years old, she faked her way into the operating room to have her appendix removed.

"My mother had her appendix removed when she was 11, so when I got to 11, she'd told me the tale about when they put their finger into the appendix area, you don't feel anything," she explains. "So, I had slight pain and I did exaggerate it a little. And they were removed and the doctor seemed slightly sheepish and slightly embarrassed when he said, "Yes, they were…a little infected."

"I don't think I was thinking that clearly then," she admits. "I just wanted to figure it out what it would feel like."

(AP)

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsNewman
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I can't place her. Not sure who she is.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Unites States of Tara, The Sixth Sense, Little Miss Sunshine. 

Quoting MrsNewman:

I can't place her. Not sure who she is.

cbk_mom3
by Mendy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

She was really good in both The Sixth Sense and Little Miss Sunshine. Interesting story about her. I had my appendix removed the night my oldest son was born. He was an emergency c-section, and the surgeon who delivered him told me he removed the appendix when he did a c-section, since once air hits them, they need to come out soon anyhow. This was almost 29 years ago, and I was cut vertically instead of the horizontal cut they do these days. He was very old school, and to be honest, after 21 hours of very hard labor, he could have ripped my heart out if it made the pain stop! LOL. But, I've never had to worry about my appendix since, and he didn't charge for it. LOL.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Interesting and LOL free of charge!! 

Quoting cbk_mom3:

She was really good in both The Sixth Sense and Little Miss Sunshine. Interesting story about her. I had my appendix removed the night my oldest son was born. He was an emergency c-section, and the surgeon who delivered him told me he removed the appendix when he did a c-section, since once air hits them, they need to come out soon anyhow. This was almost 29 years ago, and I was cut vertically instead of the horizontal cut they do these days. He was very old school, and to be honest, after 21 hours of very hard labor, he could have ripped my heart out if it made the pain stop! LOL. But, I've never had to worry about my appendix since, and he didn't charge for it. LOL.

cbk_mom3
by Mendy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, free is always good, I guess even in organ removal. LOL.

Quoting MamaMandee:

Interesting and LOL free of charge!! 

Quoting cbk_mom3:

sara_7106
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Strange
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Strange

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN