Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 13 Replies

By Andrea Reiher

Actress Valerie Harper, 73, recently received some devastating news -- she has terminal brain cancer. 

The actress, best known as Rhoda Morgenstern on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and its spin-off, "Rhoda," was diagnosed back in mid-January, she tells People

The tests conducted at the time revealed she has leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, which means that cancer cells have spread into the membrane that surrounds the brain. It is a rare condition and the diagnosis leaves her with as little as three months left to live. 

But the actress tells People, "I don't think of dying. I think of being here now."

She also adds, having been diagnosed with lung cancer in 2009 despite being a life-long non-smoker, "I'm well past my expiration date already." 

Her fans were quick to express their sadness and prayers on Twitter. 

"Praying for Valerie Harper. Puts everything in perspective quickly." -- Andy Cohen

"Just heard that Valerie Harper is facing terminal brain cancer. My thoughts and prayers go out to her." -- Marc Berman

"@ValerieHarper I adore you xoxo we all do and are praying for you" -- Hoda Kotb

Photo/Video credit: Getty Images

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

sad

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM
How sad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Very sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara_7106
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM
So sad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

wow that is sad. she looks great for her age/health issues in that pic though

cbk_mom3
by Mendy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM

So sad. I've loved her for years. She was great on the Mary Tyler Moore show, and Rhoda was always so funny, also.

MrsNewman
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM

That's awful! :( 

Lulu2216
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddie24
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Valerie Harper - brought many smiles to me through her work.  Loved her wit and character!  I am sure that she will face this with the determination.  I wish her the best.   

Seashell77
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM

This is such sad news. I enjoyed her character so much on the Mary Tylor More Show. She was really funny and entertaining. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)