Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

David Hasselhoff campaigns for Berlin Wall to remain standing

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 3 Replies

Nearly 25 years after David Hasselhoff performed "Looking for Freedom" when the Berlin Wall was coming down in Germany in 1989, the Hoff came back to the Berlin Wall to perform his iconic hit in an effort to keep the wall standing. 

The UPI reports that a real estate developer has plans to move part of the Berlin Wall to build a luxury housing development, which the Hoff says is akin to "tearing down an Indian burial ground."

The plan is to move the East Side Gallery, which is a 3/4 mile stretch of the wall that has been painted by artists after the fall of communism, making it a popular tourist spot. 

"This last piece of the wall is really sacred. It's about people and it's about hearts that were broken, hearts that were torn apart and lives that were lost. That's what we're talking about today, not a piece of real estate," says Hasselhoff. 

Hoff also promises that if development for the luxury housing continues, he'll be back to protest. 

"If it goes to the next step, we'll come back with a huge concert and really rock Berlin," says Hasselhoff. Video of his original "Looking for Freedom" performance is below.

By Andrea Reiher

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gmadiane
by Diane on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

interesting

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I understand why he is fighting for it. I agree with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyPondOasis
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I understand too. I think it should stay. What is 3/4 of a mile memorial that shows the freedom to it's residents? 

It would be like tearing down history like Hadrian's wall in Northern England.

The last part of the wall does represent the fall of communism. Bringing the country together as they should have been instead of thinking one side was better than the other. 

Hope they keep the wall up. That would be like tearing down the graves of many as so many people I am sure died just to cross over that wall to freedom that they did not have on the other side. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)