Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Do You Think Rhianna Has An Obligation To Young Women?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

Chris Brown Says 'No' When Asked If He's Still with Rihanna But There's More to the Story

by Kiri Blakeley

Chris Brown RihannaRumors were swirling yesterday that Rihanna and Chris Brown had broken up. Which was superconfusing because this news was following hot on the heels of Chris finally sounding apologetic about the 2009 beatdown he gave Rihanna and telling Ryan Seacrest:

I just tried my best to be the best man I could be over the years and just show her how remorseful and sorry I was for the incident and that time was probably the worst part of my life and being that she has and she’s a wonderful person I’m eternally grateful and thankful.

So it was a bit of a shocker -- or not -- when yesterday a radio station in Los Angeles began promoting an upcoming interview with Brown by tweeting a snippet of an interview where the DJ asks: "Are you still w/Rihanna?" And Chris Brown says: "Uh, no-that's the short answer."

Immediately the rumor mill went wild that these two crazy-in-love (crazy being the operative word) kids had called it quits. Buuuuuuut it turns out the radio station was just messin' wit' us, y'all.

Apparently that little snippet they played and tweeted was old news, taken from an interview Brown gave months ago. In the new interview, he confirms they are still an item, though he hasn't seen her since she's been on tour. Asked if he was in love (man, these radio stations are nosy, eh?), he replied:

Huh? I'm a lover, man. Definitely in love.

But notice he doesn't say with WHO. So I'm thinking he's referring to himself. Anyway, thanks, radio station, for causing everyone a bunch of confusion. For a moment, I'd actually thought that Rihanna had come to her senses and dumped the hothead.

That said, I'm over haranguing Rihanna for taking him back. I think her decision sends the wrong message to young women to go back to abusers -- when most of them don't change for the better, but merely escalate their behavior. Far too many women die at the hands of abusive partners. Check out these horrific stats on domestic violence. One third of teens say they've feared for their personal safety in a relationship and almost half say they've done something that compromised their own values in order to keep a partner happy.

But at the end of the day, Rihanna is a human being who wants to make decisions for herself, not her fans. If it turns out to be the wrong decision, I hope she's as public with it as she has been with their reunion. I hope she tweets the next black eye so that young women can see that getting back together with an abuser isn't usually a happy ending.

Do you think Rihanna has an obligation to young women?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkParadox
by Beautifully Broken on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM
No. While I can understand people wanting her to be a role model, and do what they think is right...at the end of the day she only has one life, just like the rest of us. She's a musician, not a politician
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont know if I would say obligation, she does need to be aware that there are some girls that will look up to her because she is a celebrity

msalice_21
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Nope.
MrsBridges19
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I don't like Rhianna anyway.  I won't listen to her music.  But no, she doesn't have an obligation to anyone but herself.  It's up to parents to parent their children and teach them right from wrong.  It's not up to Rhianna to live her life because young girls look at her as a role model.  That's not her fault.

luvthagirl
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Absolutely not
jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Not at all.

godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Quoting luvthagirl:

Absolutely not
BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM

If I had a young daughter I wouldn't prefer her listening to Rihanna, I think Rihanna is not a good role model for women.

lga1965
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Not really. I would hope that young girls do not try to emulate celebrities and certainly not Rhianna.

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Its Rhianna obligation too sell quality music, not parent the young females who buy and listen to her music. If a young girl is looking to rhianna for guidance? Than her parents have failed her, its the parents job to guide their children in the right direction in life. I have a 13 yr old daughter who listen to Rhianna music. But she dont idolize her, she aint gonna follow in her every footsteps. Because my daughter idolize me, im her role model. Bottom line Rhianna is an entertainer not God, not a teachsr. But i do hope when Rhianna have her own child. That she do be a postive role model for her " own " daughter.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)