Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drew Barrymore on 'having it all': 'I don't. I can't'

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

By Rick Porter, Zap2It

Actress-producer-director Drew Barrymore has waded into the thorny question of whether women can "have it all" professionally and personally -- and offered up a pretty thoughtful answer.

Barrymore was a speaker Thursday (April 4) at the Fashion and Beauty Bloggers conference sponsored by Lucky magazine, and she had this to say about the notion of "having it all":

"I don't. I can't," she says. "I was raised in that generation where it was all, 'Women can have it all!,' and I don't think you can. I think something falls off the table. The good thing is that the things that stay on the table become so much more important. You have to choose your battles. 

"I can't direct movies right now; I would miss out on my daughter. And I worked so hard to get to that point in my life, but it was a clear choice. I just had to make it."

Barrymore, who has a 6-month-old daughter, Olive, with husband Will Kopelman, also offered advice on fulfilling dreams ("they do not come true unless you're doing them with a partnership or a team") and her desert-island, must-have beauty product (concealer). She also says this about being happy:

"I think happiness is a choice. If you feel yourself being happy and can settle in to the life choices you make, then it's great. It's really, really great. I swear to god happiness is the best makeup."

What do you think of Barrymore's comments?

Photo/Video credit: Getty Images

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM

So true!

gmadiane
by Diane on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

interesting

Annettey19
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I think it is true. You can "have it all" sometimes depending how much time and energy the things you want demand, but there is a point where there are only so many hours in a day and you have to prioritize.

zboys
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Good for her!

sara_7106
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Wise
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I'm not sure what I think of her comments-but she's aged in this photo

thingz123
by Cheryl on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I agree with her. I don't think you can have everything. At least not everything all the time. My family always comes first. I work outside the home, and there are times when my family needs me, and work gets shoved into the corner. If I bring work home, they will still come first. I may have to stay up until some ungodly hour to get something done that I brought home, because they will always come first. That's life. I wanna say I am 100% present when I am at work (I'm a special ed teacher), which is true most of the time. I stay after school very little, except to attend meetings-I have kids to pick up and supervise. If I need to speak to one of my kids' teachers or email them, or if someone is ill/having some other sort of crisis while I am at school, my family will take the spotlight every time. And that's the way it should be.

PinkParadox
Anonymous replies are cowardly. Stand behind what you say, or shut up. That is all.
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
by Beautifully Broken on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I love her.

Goofygadget
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I had no idea she had a kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:54 AM

I think you can have it all, but maybe not at the exact same time in your life. You go through different stages, and get all you can out of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)