Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Paula Deen

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM
  • 15 Replies
So, I've skimmed a few posts here and there about here, listened to TMZ's coverage on her, and the consensus seemed to be that she made a "mistake" by using the term "n"... once. and that she's from a time and place where is was acceptable. as I sit and think about this situation more and more. and details tend to come pouring out more and more (I.E. she has a black best friend that she referred to as darker than a chalk board, her slave party) I can't help but think that she is just too old to change and to see how even in passing to her dh that her actions (?) are unjustified. there are plenty of people from the south that do not use that sort of language, that excuse is ridiculous. should she have been fired? I honestly don't know, there are people using the word in a less (supposedly) derogatory form nowadays (n*gga) doesn't make right either. before the whole "scandal" broke I had no opinions on her, what about you ladies? are you a fan? should she have been fired? what makes anyone think that she won't continue to refer to black people as n behind closed doors? kind of ridiculous if you think about it. from what I gather (source TMZ) there are a handful of stars that have used this term and were not fired. so, my questions above
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harrypottermom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM
I kind of feel like if she were a man it would have been, oh he made a mistake and we will give him a second chance. Kind of like the whole Bill O'Reilly thing. He didn't get fired. And I'm not saying that his case and her case are the same but they are both in the public eye and he's still on tv everyday.

And I'm not saying she is innocent or anything but I do think what's happening to her is extreme.
jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Her deposition was "leaked" and it turns out, the media misquoted her. http://stitchesndishes.com/2013/06/media-was-wrong-will-food-network-take-paula-deen-back/

I wasn't a fan but I wasn't anti-Paula, either. If that makes sense. Lol. She's not the first person in the world to use the "N" word nor will she be the last. Paula shouldn't have been persecuted. The "N" word shouldn't be a part of ANYONE'S vocab, black, white, green or multi color. Neither should the word  "cracker".

mom2bell
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM

No.  People need to get over it.  

.Milfshake.
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM
at first I was like good, she's a racist, etc. but as days go on, it's I think it's getting out of control. seriously. she *might* use the word on a daily basis at home who knows, but scrutiny that she is receiving is starting to get to me.
Quoting harrypottermom:

I kind of feel like if she were a man it would have been, oh he made a mistake and we will give him a second chance. Kind of like the whole Bill O'Reilly thing. He didn't get fired. And I'm not saying that his case and her case are the same but they are both in the public eye and he's still on tv everyday.

And I'm not saying she is innocent or anything but I do think what's happening to her is extreme.

harrypottermom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM
I hear ya. At first I was like, oh man that's not good why would she say something like that being in the public eye?? but she's apologized, and now it's like it's not enough they wanna crucify her or something and my personal opinion is, its because she is a woman, but that's just my opinion

Quoting .Milfshake.:

at first I was like good, she's a racist, etc. but as days go on, it's I think it's getting out of control. seriously. she *might* use the word on a daily basis at home who knows, but scrutiny that she is receiving is starting to get to me.

Quoting harrypottermom:

.Milfshake.
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I think it is, too. how many stars have dropped the n bomb a time or two and it be brushed under the carpet? how many athletes have dropped the word f*gg*t and all is forgiven. I think they need to give this woman a break, it's not going to stop her from using the word (if she still is) I don't want to her to have a heart attack over this mess. I understand she dropped it because she was mugged by a black man, that was a long time ago, it's time to forgive and forget.
Quoting harrypottermom:

I hear ya. At first I was like, oh man that's not good why would she say something like that being in the public eye?? but she's apologized, and now it's like it's not enough they wanna crucify her or something and my personal opinion is, its because she is a woman, but that's just my opinion

Quoting .Milfshake.:

Quoting harrypottermom:

harrypottermom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Yeah and after reading the deposition I think the media jumped to conclusions, it's almost like did they actually read it or skim through it??

Quoting .Milfshake.:

I think it is, too. how many stars have dropped the n bomb a time or two and it be brushed under the carpet? how many athletes have dropped the word f*gg*t and all is forgiven. I think they need to give this woman a break, it's not going to stop her from using the word (if she still is) I don't want to her to have a heart attack over this mess. I understand she dropped it because she was mugged by a black man, that was a long time ago, it's time to forgive and forget.

Quoting harrypottermom:

Quoting .Milfshake.:

Quoting harrypottermom:

BeachMommy07
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM

She shouldn't have said it. I"m confused why she was in court and what exactly happened. Never been a fan of her so haven't followed her or this story.

harrypottermom
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM

She said it like over 20 years ago not exactly in this situation. The other mom who posted the link a few posts above gave, the link to the deposition and it's looking like the media blew it out of proportion

Quoting BeachMommy07:

She shouldn't have said it. I"m confused why she was in court and what exactly happened. Never been a fan of her so haven't followed her or this story.

PinkParadox
by Beautifully Broken on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Perhaps their were other issues that lead to her being fired, and this was just the icing on the cake
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)