Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Petitioners urging movie studio to drop Ben Affleck as Batman

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

Comic book fans have launched an online petition in a bid to convince the producers of the Man Of Steel sequel to drop Ben Affleck as Batman.

It has been announced the Argo director and star will be taking over the Caped Crusader role most recently played by Christian Bale in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy in the new Zack Snyder film, which will unite Superman and Batman.

The director feels sure he has the right man for the job, stating, "He (Affleck) has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne (Batman's alter-ego)."

But the news hasn't been welcomed by comic book fans and many have taken to Twitter.com to express their negative feelings about the idea of Affleck as Batman, even jokingly suggesting Affleck's friend Matt Damon could play Batman's sidekick Robin.

Now, a Change.org petition has surfaced online urging Warner Bros., the studio behind the movie, to "remove Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne in the Superman/Batman movie."

The petition has garnered over 10,000 signatures since launched on Thursday (22Aug13).

Credit: YoungHollywood

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessica020410
by Jessica on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I don't see the problem. Maybe I haven't seen him enough, I don't know.
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM

He is a great actor. i am sure he will do fine.

gmadiane
by Diane on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM

who knows maybe he will surprise and do very well

PestPatti
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Seriously! ! !   A petition because of the choice of an actor for a part.  Do people have nothing better to do or protest.

Batman has been portrayed by many including Micheal Keaton.

jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Ben Affleck is a horrible choice for the role of batman. I wouldn't go so far as to launch or sign a petition but I doubt I'll see the film.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msjaxon
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I was jaw dropped stunned when they picked him. I will not see thay movie at all, Bem Affleck is terrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriAnn87
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

some of us are shocked they picked him and know he probley will suck but you don't need to sign the pettion just don't go see the movie.

PinkParadox
by Beautifully Broken on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:08 AM

This.  Surprisingly enough though...Batman has a strong comic book cult following

Quoting jltplk25:

Ben Affleck is a horrible choice for the role of batman. I wouldn't go so far as to launch or sign a petition but I doubt I'll see the film.

jltplk25
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM
That's true. I wonder if the studio would listen, and if so, who would the hire in place of Affleck. I doubt Christian Bale is interested.

Quoting PinkParadox:

This.  Surprisingly enough though...Batman has a strong comic book cult following

Quoting jltplk25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM

This made me LOL!

I'm surprised they chose him for the role.  My opinion is that he doesn't fit it.  I know people are saying, maybe he'll surprise but in all honesty, Ben Affleck isn't that great of an actor and only does well in certain roles.  Batman I feel is a complex and often nuanced character who is a tortured soul and I just don't see it.  I feel like the character will just become a joke.

Batman has a HUGE following so I'm not surprised that petitions have come out.  They are actually alienating their fans by having cast him in the first place. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)