Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ranting Roseanne: Barr flips out, claims 'Two and a Half Men' writers stole her joke

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

TVGuide

The "Two and a Half Men" writers' room needs to start using more original material, according to Roseanne Barr.

In a Twitter rant over the weekend, Barr accused star Ashton Kutcher and creator Chuck Lorre (who was a supervising producer on "Roseanne" in the 1990s) of ripping off a joke from her stand-up routine. Later, she recanted her claim against Kutcher and Lorre, but maintained that someone on the writing staff stole her material.

"If I'm unable2 sue billionaire chuck lorre4 theft, then I will force myself 2 watch his shows-& steal his jokes 2-altho NOT many R FUNNY," Barr tweeted. "I can C chuck in the room: 'guys, let's b careful when lifting jokes frm comics-don't steal copyrighted HBO special jokes-b more discreet'."

The quip in question was featured in Thursday's episode of "Men," in which Kutcher's character remarks about being 91 years old, "I'd imagine that you're wet in the places you used to be dry, and dry in the places you used to be wet." Barr has been using a similar line for nearly 10 years when commenting on the effects of menopause.

"A--hole kuchner (sic) is stealing my 'wet where I'm supposed to be dry' joke @JohnnyAgent motherf---ing thief," Barr tweeted.

Later, Barr wrote: "I forgive Ashton and Chuck! It's prob one of their writer's fault!"

But she reiterated her original stance on Sunday, tweeting: "One thing chuck lorre will never do: apologize for lifting material from me or other comics or other tv shows."

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monjerm01
by Monica on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Interesting.
gmadiane
by Diane on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM

interesting

.Bubbles.
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand why she would blame Ashton. I highly doubt he makes up his own lines or follows her stand-up.
PinkParadox
by Beautifully Broken on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Hmmmm
mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I think she is giving herself a lil too much credit here. I doubt Aston is stealing her material, considering I dont think he WRITES the script for 2 and a half men(i could be wrong though).
I just think she is just trying to get a lil bit of spotlight on her. Just my opinion!
MommySally
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Her argument is invalid to me because of the use of multiple short cuts instead of spelling see and writing c, lol it drives me nuts.
cbk_mom3
by Mendy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Good grief. I used to really love her show, still one of the best ever. However, she's become such a nutcase weirdo over the past few years, it's hard to take anything she says seriously. And, as for her blaming anything on Chuck Lorre, that sounds like jealousy and sour apples. He's got success now, and hit shows, and she's a has been, and can't stand it.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:09 AM

hmm. maybe chuck did hear the joke before. if she was using that material, maybe she has some proof?

Chris030406
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this
While I agree, it is twitter. You have to be creative at times, in order to get those thoughts out in 140 characters lol.

Quoting MommySally:

Her argument is invalid to me because of the use of multiple short cuts instead of spelling see and writing c, lol it drives me nuts.

MommySally
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Lol ah yeah I forgot about that, I don't use Twitter and didn't remember they have limited words.

Quoting Chris030406:

While I agree, it is twitter. You have to be creative at times, in order to get those thoughts out in 140 characters lol.

Quoting MommySally:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)