Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pop Culture Junkies Pop Culture Junkies

Robin Thicke's 'Blurred Lines' music video: Are you still mad?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 20 Replies

By Billy Nilles, Zap2It, Fair Use

Plenty of pop-culture stories from 2013 were fodder for public outrage. As the year comes to a close, Zap2it takes a look back at some of the biggest uproars and asks: U Still Mad?

It was undoubtedly the song of the summer, but the accompanying video for Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" perhaps made more noise than the song ever could. 

Thicke and his comrades Pharrell Williams and T.I. dropped their video on March 20, in which a handful of naked women paraded around the dudes in their full suits. Immediately, the clip sparked a media firestorm, with a great many critics speaking up and pointing out the misogynistic undertones overtones of the video. By singing lyrics like "I know you want it" while making a show out of the naked women, Thicke developed a growing opposition who believed his song and video were making light of sexual consent, promoting rape culture.

Riding high on the charts while facing the firing squad at every turn put Thicke on the defensive about the biggest song of his career. During a visit to the Today show, he said the conversation surrounding the song intended. "It's actually a feminist moment within itself," he said. "It's saying that women and men are equals as animals and as power."

Then, in a May interview with GQ, Thicke explained away the video this way: "We tried to do everything that was taboo. Bestiality, drug injections, and everything that is completely derogatory towards women. Because all three of us are happily married with children, we were like, 'We're the perfect guys to make fun of this.' People say, 'Hey, do you think this is degrading to women?' I'm like, 'Of course it is. What a pleasure it is to degrade a woman. I've never gotten to do that before. I've always respected women.' So we just wanted to turn it over on its head and make people go, 'Women and their bodies are beautiful. Men are always gonna want to follow them around.'"

Now that so much time has passed since the release of the controversial video, we've got to ask: Are you still mad about it? Or are you on Thicke's side? Or are you just hoping talk of "Blurred Lines" stays in the past?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I've never seen the video, but I don't care for Thicke or his music.

thingz123
by Cheryl on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I like the song.

I never try to read too much into a video or an artist's lyrics-there are so many times you think you are interpreting lyrics correctly or understanding what you are seeing, and the artist has this deep symbolic thing going on that is not what you are thinking, or they are actually making fun of something rather than advocating it.

I could only get so mad at barely legal women prancing around in nothing or next to nothing (depending upon which version of the video), considering they are legal, consenting adults and they can do what they want to do. And, we as consumers can choose not to watch the final product. Besides, his own wife didn't take issue with it. Anyone grossed out by it does. not. have. to. watch. it.

Most of the time, I don't think we know what is in the artist's mind unless they choose to tell us. When they tell us their intentions, then we can decide that we agree with them, honestly couldn't care less, or are revolted by what they are doing.

lga1965
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I haven't seen the video. I didn't like the MTV awards show when he and  Miley Cyrus did that crude dance,.

BUT I really like the song.

LoriAnn87
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I have seen both vidoe the rated one and unrated and like both of them. I like the song and my youngest son loves that song too.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM
It is fun to play on Just Dance 2014.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Honestly, this is one of my least favorite songs. I absolutely detest it.

lydi
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I was never mad at the video and I still like the song.

MommySally
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:36 AM
People are too damn sensitive, so what if their boobies were out? Obviously they could have kept their sweater puppies hidden if they chose to
rockinmomto2
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM

The song is disgusting, and the music video makes it 1000 times worse. Like, what the hell was he thinking writing that song? Absolutely ridiculous. And I'm not mad, I'm offended, as all women and feminists should be.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jan. 1, 2014 at 7:45 AM

I wasnt mad at the time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)