Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Responsibility?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 5:43 PM
  • 11 Replies
Do you think we, the adoring public, are in any way responsible for the lunacy in stars? Princess Di died running from the press, now Heith Ledger may have committed suicide..Even funny many Owen WIlson tried to commit suicide..

I have to wonder what life really is like living under a microscope...so few stars manage to keep normal personalities - without succumbing to drugs or end up hounded by the press....And lets face it, I don't think they would be as popular or successful if they didn't manage some scandal.

Should we take some responsibility? We can't really condemn the press as we all flock to see the latest pics or read the new gossip...

What do you think?

Check out my Health & Wellness, Homeschooling and Earth-Based Spirituality Articles at: http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/123122/kickbuttmama.html

by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Steph0079
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM
I'm not sure, but that is truly a good question.  I mean, look at Britney Spears, she is a total wreck....maybe being under the spotlight is too hard on these stars.

If you are like me and need to earn extra cash, check out this website.   You sign up, don't pay a thing, do a couple of surveys or refer your friends and you get a check.  I am  expecting my next one to be over $100!! It definately helps out when money is tight!  Check out the website and if you need any help message me and I will explain how to do the offers for free so you can get money without spending money! You aren't going to get rich, but every penny helps!  http://www.cashcrate.com/383789

Stephanie :)

April10
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 5:52 PM
No. I blame their handlers and families. The media and papparazzi like to blame the fans because we have the audacity to talk about what they're feeding us, but if it weren't there, what we know that we're missing?

I do have more respect for celebs who manage to stay out of the harsh light, but I know they must have support from their loved ones and agents, etc. to do so.  But still...they manage to do so.

Who here really thinks Britney Spears' mother has acted responsibly?

Even people like George and Johnny have managed to maintain some sense of private life by not putting everything out there. I don't doubt it's hard for them, but I think it can be done.
bb007928
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 6:00 PM
I think celebrities need to take responsibility for themselves and not blame anyone else.  When someone wants to become an actor or singer or whatever they need to realize that they are putting themselves in the public eye and of course people are always going to want more.  These famous people can't expect us not to want to know more.  I salute the few celebrities who have maintained some sort of privacy.  I do understand that it must be very difficult to live life with someone always looking at you, but I guess that is the price that comes with it.
maciemay
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM
I think we are all to blame, the stars, the press, and the fans. The stars want the attention (@ first) so the press delivers it and we as fan gobble it up. I am usually the first to google something I heard about a star and find out the info on it.But today I was really struck at how sick the business of getting in the stars business really is. I google Heath ledger today and I was going thru the pictures they had posted and they had so many of him coming out in a body bag and that really upset me. I think they should of left them pictures in the garbage that is something that the family or fans should not have to see.
missiongirl
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 12:41 AM
I don't know if we are to blame really.  I guess that because we keep buying the magazine, watching the tv shows and talking about it we are but I think the photographers and news media is really getting ridiculous.  And I think that a lot of the attention some stars are getting is because of what the person is doing.  Bad decisions sometimes.  Of course, this does not apply to everyone (ie. Princess Di) .
TheresaZ
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 1:04 AM
I think they all have issues to begin with and are surrounded by yesmen who are looking out for themselves and supplying them with drugs and alcahol so that they make the money and people like Britney and Paris get away with so much that they end up thinking they are above the law so when they dont get their way they flip out. Sadly they dont have families to keep them grounded so they run wild and the Pap's are the same, they are looking for the money shot no matter what and they cause deaths like Princess Diana. Its pretty common here in LA for celebrities to have reps call the Pap's and let them know where they are going to be so they get attention. Thats the way it is. Recently some of them were arrested but I dont see them stopping anytime soon.
I do think that they should take responsebility for themselves, our kids see this and think its reality and cool.

Pegaluce
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 12:49 PM
I do not feel like any blame should be put on anyone. In my opinion they are making much too much money. There is no incentive to take care of themselves so that the desire to hire them continues.

I also agree with a previous opnion here that brought up family members. I am always amazed that you never read about family connections. They can't all be orphans, only children, or have dysfunctional families!! Where are they in their lives? Or are they caught up in their own lifestyles becuase of their famous family member....and only interested the money from them?!!!

I actually get angry when I think of the loss of life or even just the trouble they get into, that could have been prevented by a family member or even a close friend having serious talks with them while they are on the roller coaster ride to hell or oblivion.

Sorry to get carried away and be angry..but I have been a movie fan since i was 5 and I am now 65...and I can still remember when stars acted like stars and took care of themselves. Not all did, there were exceptions....but at least the press didn't usually try to make news BY them to embarrass them and make money...they usually just REPORTED news about them for us to enjoy.

I have to step down from my soap box...sorry..I feel strongly about this!!!!
Jill820
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 5:09 PM
I don't think that we, the public, are all that responsible for the deaths or problems with the stars. Everyone, when they go into show business, whatever it is, know fully well about the paparazzi and that they will be hounded and followed until they are not popular anymore. We can't say for sure that Heath committed suicide. I think he was brave to play the role of a gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain and he still was able to go on and have good parts. He was a cutie and it is sooo sad that he died.
Jill
TheLostMuppet
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 5:16 PM
"Boo Hoo! Im famous! Whaaaaa!!!!!"
If they cant handle it they can leave! But No! They stay, keep livin it up, and eventually die from an overdose!
How is this our fault?!
Yes, I love the stars, and I love readin about them, but Im so over the stories about the suicides!
The only thing I can say is "why"?
angeldream8715
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 12:48 AM
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but it's going to really bug me if I don't say it.  HEATH Ledger, not Keith.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)