Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help mom's I need some assistance. PLEASE.

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

So my dd is 17 months old. For the last few months I have been trying to get her to go to sleep on her own. Well needless to say it's not working. I tried leaving her alone in the bed and letting her cry it out. She will cry until she vomits and the four nights I did it she got sick every night. So that meant me going into her room changing her sheets and putting her to sleep. I need some suggestions anything that may have worked for you.

Thanks so much

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM

do you like, rock her to sleep or something?  if you do, try to "wean" her i guess i will call it.

try just sitting by her bed until she is sleeping. if you need to for a few nights, sit by her bed with your hand on her hand, or her tummy/back depending on how she sleeps.  once she gets comfortable with that, try sitting just by the door of her room, so she knows you are there....and once shes used to that try to let her do it on her own. 

My eggo is preggo!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Hmm my son was tough he still tries to get in my bed every now and then and hes almost 4...but what i did was i found his fav. stuffed animal and told him come on lets put bear to sleep and i said you have to cover him up and lay close to him so he doesnt get scared...and then i told him now you have to stay in your big boy bed and sleep with bear bc you dont want him to be all alone and worked for awhile and then he just got so used to sleeping in his own hes getting older and caught on to my trick every now and then when he has a nightmare he comes and crawls in my bed...but i told him this isnt going to become a habit..and he says i know that helps

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM

oh and also try letting them sleep with a pillow you sleep with....makes them think there sleeping with you...

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Have u tried the Ferber Method of CIO.? Thats what worked for us finally.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM

There are 2 things I'd recommend you start with.

1. Make sure you use the same routine at nap and night time if possible.

2. Review what time you are putting your DD to bed maybe she's just not tired.  That was the case with our DD who is just about 20 months old now.  If we tried to put her to bed at 8 she'd cry for an hour, with us going in and comforting her every few minutes.  But as soon as we changed her to 9 she went to bed with no problems.  After a couple months she slowly showed signs of tiring earlier and we gradually changed her bedtime, now she consistently is in bed sleeping between 7:30 & 8 with a 7am wake-up (she's like an alarm clock).

Make sure your nighttime routine is soothing.  We do a bath if it's bath night, followed by some lavender lotion (she likes to help put it on), PJs, 1 or 2 short bedtime books while cuddling in our lap and then off to bed with a toy that plays lullabyes for a few minutes and she can turn back on if she's still awake (like a glo worm).  Once bath is finished we stay in her room where there are few toys and keep the lights dim so as to not overstimulate her again.  The books we read show animals or kids sleeping at the end so we'll ask her what they're doing and she'll tell us they're sleeping or say "night night" and then we say "time for you to go night night like in the book." and she'll give hugs and kisses and climb into bed.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I used the ferber method as well. It worked for me, but I did it when DS was around 6 months old. 6months vs 17 months is a big difference.

I know some kids don't respond to CIO, you may have to try another method. Perhaps swapping to a toddler bed and you laying with her till she goes to sleep would work.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM

What works the best is having a routine. Everyday..put them to bed at the same time. My 2 year old twins "know" when 9:00pm hits..they just start getting whinny, arguing with each other...nothing helps. So we know to lay them down..they get tv time for 30 mins (to unwind) and it's off. They pass out shortly after that. They also wake up at the same time everyday and have naps at the same time. With 4 kids you have to have a schedule in place..or everyone is off whack.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Routine, Routine, Routine!

Also, the bed may be too uncomfortable, give her a pillow. That's why my DD wasn't sleeping. XD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)