Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler and baby sharing a room... PIOG for opinions!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM
  • 17 Replies

My son will be 18 months old in 2 weeks and I am due any day with his brother. They will be sharing a room (eventually). I was just wondering, when would be the smartest time to put them both in there together? My toddler isn't the greatest with change and I dont want him to feel like his space is invaded. I also dont want the baby waking him up a million times at night. On the other hand I dont want the baby to get used to sleeping elsewhere and having a hard time adjusting to the new room either. I'm thinking of doing the baby's naps in there to get him used to it, but not sure if that will be enough.

Im not going to lie, I am concerned about me getting as much sleep as possible too because I am a full time college student with a TON of stuff on my plate and I am only taking a week off with baby, so I want to be as rested as possible.

Have any of you moms had this room sharing issue? How did it go? Is there anything you wish you would have done differently? Any other advice? Thanks ladies

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I haven't been in this situation and thankfully we have 3 bedrooms so this baby won't have to share with my son.

I personally know how much of a bear my son can be when he misses out on sleep, so I wouldn't put the baby in with him until the baby was sleeping completely through the night.

baby1love
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM

My DD will be 3 in January and I am due this week with our second DD. We like to keep the baby in our room for the first 6-9 months before we put them in thier own room . We have 3 bedrooms. So we can have both girls have their own room till they are alittle older and want to share if they do. DD doesn't sleep well so I don't want the baby and her to be in the same room at first.

CafeMom Tickers

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:30 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Advice for Moms

Life with Baby and Toddler!

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

lilliputiansmom
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Our baby is due in spring and will be sharing a room with our 2 yr old. In the beginning we will have the new baby in our room but eventually will be moved over to the other room. Our 2 yr old has been in our room from the time she came home. We only have 2 bedrooms and our oldest is in school. I didn't think it was fair to keep her up with a crying baby since she has school early. I don't want the new baby in our room as long a the toddler, I know that for sure. Anytime you open the door she is up. I think had she been in another room or even sharing she wouldn't be so sensitive to waking up.

Bookdragon4kidz
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I have 4 kiddos, two girls & two boys. The girls have been sharing a room since the younger daughter was born, they've been sharing a room for almost 16 years now, the older daughter is 18. The boys have also been sharing since the younger son was born, they are now 7 & 10. My 10 year old has autism & change is something that is difficult for him, my suggestion is to tell your older son that when his little brother is home from the hospital that they will be sharing a room, start out small when introducing small items first, give him a couple days to get used to each new item then add something else. If you do it slowly over the next few weeks it'll give him time to adjust, also have him help you decide where to put things in the room so he'll feel better about having to share.

When life gets tougher then you think you can handle, pull up your bootstraps, tighten your belt, fix your cap & soldier through. Good Luck, Take Care, Goddess Blessings. Happy Halloween & Samhain, Ladies!!

Bookdragon

abby9876
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 8:10 PM

We kept our daughter in our room until she was about 6 months old because by then she was sleeping at least 8 hours straight. It was just much easier than getting up & going to her room every few hours. She slept in a large pack'n'play (we couldn't fit the crib in our room). We started giving her naps in the crib around 4 or 5 months just to get her used to it. She transitioned fine. As for your older son, you could slowly, over time, add more baby items to the room (as a pp said) & allow him to warm up & adjust to the idea slowly.

A woman is like a tea bag~you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

~Eleanor Roosevelt ~

lilybugsmama07
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I have done this 3 times now.  The way we did it was, we kept the baby in our room, in his/her crib until s/he was 5-6 months old and definitely sleeping through the night.  Then we transformed the other room and made the switch. 

I also let the baby play in the room and let my older child get use to it.  It worked for all 3 transitions we went through.

Good luck.

Kristin,

Proud mama to

Cole-CPUV, PDD NOS, Tremors, mild asthma, bladder diverticula

Leland-our energizer bunny

Lily-Daddy's Little Princess

Alexa-Daddy's Little Princess in training

Mysty_1961
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Start right now preparing him for this.  Talk about how much fun it will be to have his brother sharing his room.  How good of friends they will be.  Keep building up the situation so he is looking forward to it.  Also from time to time start moving things into the room to get ready for brother.  Let him help you decide where things are going to go.  The more positive he can be in his thinking and the more part of setting up for his brother the easier it will be for him.

ariannasmom114
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM

i have the same situation and im not putting them in the same room 2gether until the baby sleeps through the night cause i dont want her to wake up my toddlers

mommylove74
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 7:46 PM

my girls will eventually share a room,but im planning 2 wait until the younger one is at least 2,mainly im worried that they will keep each other awake!!!! i also plan 2 upgrade from crib 2 toddler bed at 2,so prob around the same time...they r very close so i know they will enjoy being in the rm together,but it will be a big change,esp during nap time!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)