Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trick or Treating??

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:45 PM
  • 8 Replies

Just wondering.......

Are you taking your kids trick or treating? Where do you take them? Do you let them eat the candy they get?  This is the second year im taking my son ( hes 3), most likely I will take him to the mall to collect candy, but I still check it!! I'm not to sure about taking him door to door. What about the oldet kids?? Do they still go trick or treating? I have a 14 yr old sister and we usually buy extra candy and popcorn and watch scary movies, its fun!! If you don't take the kids out what do you do?

trick or treat

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MommyMerry7
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:47 PM

We are going to the fall harvest party at church...they have lots of games and TONS of candy....so it should be fun.....then I will stop at their grandmothers house to visit....this will be the first year we aren't going trick or treating.....there is also another party on Saturday that will be having hay rides, games, and pony rides...should be lots of fun.  I think I get more excited than the kids LOL 

Autumn22
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I am!  They most certainly won't eat ALL the candy they get.  Sugar depresses the immune system and they need to be in tip top shape with the flu going around.  They will get a lil bit though. :)

We're going tonight in our lil town.

For 2000 years doctors looked at the world through the filter (belief) that 'bleeding was therapeutic'. Not until the general education of the public lead people to rebel against this mistake was it corrected. Today many look at the world through the belief that 'vaccines work'. ....

Investigate before you Vaccinate!  Feel free to message me and ask any questions.

stacymomto3
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I plan on taking my kids this year. I usually ration the candy and when they get it. I also make sure they eat a really good meal before  we go and take their bags when we get in the car so they are not sneaking and eating it. I usually take them to people I know and we take them to the fire stations in town. Last year I bought my ten year old a costume and took him to his great grandparents house and then he decided he didnt want to go to trick or treating and decided to stay with them and I took the other kids. But he said this year he wanted to go so we will see but he will use last years costume.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:01 PM

TYhe jury is out on trick or treating this year. We currently have about 18 inches of snow and are expecting it to snow for another 12 hrs or so. We'll have to see what the weather is like. If not, I'll make popcorn balls and let them eat some of the candy that I bought to give away. My older 2 will take the 4 yr old around the neighborhood if they go. We know everyone, so it isn't a big deal.

yvonne37
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:29 PM

we are taking out daughter to the main street merchants in our town, they do something every year. starts at the town hall and goes down the street... I do check the candy anyway and they dont eat it all right away.. I still had candy a month ago from last year.. needless to say I through it out.. :) 

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
ButHeStartedIt
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM

We don't do the door to door thing. He's going to a private school this year, and they're throwing a little harvest festival so we're going to that from about 5:30-6:30...it's all free, and the kids just play carnival type games to win candy. After that, we're coming home, changing into jammies, and letting the kids go nuts on candy and popcorn while we watch a movie, and then it's off to bed. We "celebrate" Halloween early, anyway, by going to Mickey's Trick or Treat Party in Disney's CA Adventure. We went on the 22nd this year. We go to Disneyland for the day, then go back to the car to let the boys change into their costumes, then head over to CA Adventure for the Halloween stuff. They get to trick-or-treat, get their fill of candy, lots of photo ops with the "villain" characters, most of the rides are open, they have crafts, games, dancing, etc. The boys had a blast, and I think over the next couple of years it'll be even more fun for them (they're 6 and almost 4 now). It's safe, and it's a great experience. We don't go on Halloween night because I don't like the idea of being away from the house then.

We normally hand out candy, but we're not in a great area for it, our street is VERY poorly lit, our porch/front door situation isn't very conducive to greeting kids, and last year we only had about 30 people come by, and less than half were under 16, so I'm not going to bother with it again until we move.

I want to look into hospitals/convalescent centers next year. I know some nursing homes pass out candy, and I've heard of hospital Halloween events (like at children's hospitals). The older people would enjoy seeing little ones in costumes and spending time with them, and I know my six year old would absolutely love to do something like that.

Edited to add: As far as older kids go, I don't have any, but by the time our kids would "outgrow" the trick-or-treating thing (not that we plan on doing the door to door thing at any point, anyway), we'd like to start throwing parties for them and their friends. They're only two years apart, so I'm thinking around the 11/13 or 12/14 range, we'll start that. Regardless of traditions, acceptibility, or how trustworthy they are, sending a pack of kids out into the evening without adult supervision just isn't worth the risk, imo. I want to have the place where my kids and their friends want to be, and if that means throwing parties and dealing with a bunch of teenagers, I'll suffer through it, lol.

-PJ
mom of J.R. (9/3/03) and Maverick (11/17/05)

"I'm opinionated and open-minded, passionate and peace-seeking. I'll bend for anybody, break for no one."
mom2ryneandsam
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM

We usually go to the mall for trick or treating but this yr they are having it downtown where we live the parks and rec is doing it the kids don't get all their candy at once they gets a few pieces each day if they were good for that day and if there is any candy left my christmas I get rid of it

J1nx
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Quoting balagan_imma:

TYhe jury is out on trick or treating this year. We currently have about 18 inches of snow and are expecting it to snow for another 12 hrs or so. We'll have to see what the weather is like. If not, I'll make popcorn balls and let them eat some of the candy that I bought to give away. My older 2 will take the 4 yr old around the neighborhood if they go. We know everyone, so it isn't a big deal.

Ditto that!

We were only supposed to get 6 inches, but it's already above DS's knees.  I like the idea of watching Halloween themed movies and having popcorn, perhaps we will do that this year...and hand out candy if anyone stopps by.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)