Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FLU DEATHS-Hydration is key...

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:51 PM
  • 3 Replies

Since my Mother died from dehydration as a complication of the flu I have been on a mission to tell everyone that lack of fluids can really cause death!

It can happen very quickly. She was very lucid, went to the hospital for treatment and they could not even get an IV into her neck! She knew what was happening and then her organs shut down one by one.

She lived with  my little sister (RIP-cervical cancer) and was blind from not taking care of her glaucoma and did not like to get out of bed to pee, so, she would not drink any fluids! I KNOW!

So, when she got sick it was a slippery slope to death.

I did not know all this, living in another state, I had no idea...I don't drink enough water myself. She raised us with Welfare food and Kool Aid...she really did the best she could with a Korean War veteran with severe PTSD who was taken away by police and left her with six kids and no child support.

But, I am convinced that the deaths from this flu are largely because people don't stay hydrated. Even if it is not a full 8 glasses be sure it is more than 4. Flavored ice cubes are good too.

fooddiaryuser Workin'american flag ribbon on it everyday!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LancesMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:06 PM

im sorrySo sorry for your loss! Thank you for sharing this important detail!

BaileynMe
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM

That's one thing about the flu, though, is constant vomiting. It's hard to stay hydrated when you're just puking it up. If you can't hold anything down, a hospital visit might be in order so they can give you an iv. If not, very, very small sips may help, not much more than just wetting the mouth. 

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM

sorry about your mom. but you are right, if you are deyhdrated, it will make everything worse! I will remember that the next time one of us comes down with something.

Lilypie

[url=http://www.justparents.co.uk/pregnancy/tools/gender-predictor.html][img]http://www.justparents.co.uk/images/genderpred/predictedGirl.gif[/img][/url]
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)