Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pro-life or pro-choice: How did you decide what you believe?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:19 PM
  • 147 Replies

I wonder sometimes how people come to their beliefs.  Do circumstances contribute to believing a particular way?

If you are pro-life, have you always been?  Why are you pro-life?

If you are pro-choice, have you always been?  Why are you pro-choice?

Does your personal experience influence your belief system?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziggy-Stardust
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I am pro-choice and have always been. Pro-choice is not just about abortion, its about perserving personal liberties.

Keep it safe, keep it legal.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

shymom24
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Personaly I am VERY against abortion. But then it comes to my head of I am against abortion unles......

I am not sure I am on either side fully. I think to everything there can be exceptions. The whole "killing" thing is hard for me as is the fact knowing how hard we have had to try for more babies and how hard our road has been.

(I am not a christian so there for "putting it in gods hands" does not apply)

Angelmomov3boyz  created this wonderful pic for me!

Living life through the eyes of a child!

amayabrianna
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM

I am prochoice simply because it is our right to decide. I understand where pro-lifers are coming from, and don't get me wrong I don't think they are completely wrong in their belief. With that being said I would never tell someone they were wrong for making any decidion they made. I don't think its right for some one to have a baby they do not want. There are many reasons that someone would make this decision. They may not be able to take care of the baby either emotionally or financially and maybe adoption isn't an option. I believe it is harder to give a baby up for adoption than to have an abortion. I don't believe it is right to make  someone have a baby and that baby end up being beaten or abused in any way. Is that fair to that child? What about when someone is raped is it fair to make that woman have that baby? What if there is something wrong with the baby that would impair that child for life? Is it right to make that woman hae that baby? There are just too many different reasons for someone to rightfully want an abortion to completely rule it out altogether. I think it takes a bigger woman to admit they can not be the proper mother and give that opportunity up than accept that responsibility and end up hurting the child even more. JMO

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
sweetmoonem
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I am pro-choice.  I do not believe in abusing the right to have an abortion however.  I think it should only be done under extreme circumstances.  It shouldn't be done as birth control, and it shouldn't be done because your boyfriend won't marry you. 

I think adoption is a really good way of making something positive out of a negative experience for a rape victim, or a woman in a bad relationship. 

Me personally I could not have an abortion unless there really was no other choice.  I have never had one but I have been in the room with my best friend when she had hers a couple of years ago.  It's not easy to go through for some people, and certainly should not be taken lightly.

I have not always been pro-choice.  In fact I only recently started believing more in pro-choice.  I love being a mom, I love children and it makes me sad to think of somebody getting an abortion, but I think sometimes ( and I mean rare times ) it is the only option.

It's not the meaning of life. It's the feeling of life.
babies

I am a passionate, extended-rear-facing, therapeutic-music-listening, happily married, dog-loving, Galant-driving, husband-charming, formula-feeding, housework-doing, traveling, Facebook-blogging, Dr. Phil-watching, stay at home mama with morals and heart.
I am a formula-feeding, disposable-diapering, pro-life, extended-rear-facing, non-co-sleeping, vaccinating, pro-epidural, babyproofing, anti-SIDS-advocating, public-schooling momma to my beautiful and perfect son Miles, born 11-19-08!!!
Rae-Rae_Kitty
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I am pro choice.

I used to be pro life until I realized that if a woman wants to abort her baby, she WILL find a way to do so, even if it means harming herself.

I am pro choice because I think it is better to keep abortion legal and safe for the mother. I would not get an abortion myself, but I do not hold it against anyone who does. 

And this:

Quote: sweetmoonem

I am pro-choice.  I do not believe in abusing the right to have an abortion however.  I think it should only be done under extreme circumstances.  It shouldn't be done as birth control, and it shouldn't be done because your boyfriend won't marry you. 

This is My Little Stinker
 Kitty_Rae-Rae.png image by SilverMoonBabyWOTC_Ribbon_PNG.png image by SilverMoonBaby

sweetmoonem
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Quoting Rae-Rae_Kitty:

I am pro choice.

I used to be pro life until I realized that if a woman wants to abort her baby, she WILL find a way to do so, even if it means harming herself.

I am pro choice because I think it is better to keep abortion legal and safe for the mother. I would not get an abortion myself, but I do not hold it against anyone who does. 

And this:

Quote: sweetmoonem

I do agree with that, we have come a long way from the dangerous days of when women were so desperate to have abortions, they'd try them at home with hangers and knitting needles.  Although an abortion is not an easy decision to make, we are lucky to have that choice and we shouldn't be abusing it.

It's not the meaning of life. It's the feeling of life.
babies

I am a passionate, extended-rear-facing, therapeutic-music-listening, happily married, dog-loving, Galant-driving, husband-charming, formula-feeding, housework-doing, traveling, Facebook-blogging, Dr. Phil-watching, stay at home mama with morals and heart.
I am a formula-feeding, disposable-diapering, pro-life, extended-rear-facing, non-co-sleeping, vaccinating, pro-epidural, babyproofing, anti-SIDS-advocating, public-schooling momma to my beautiful and perfect son Miles, born 11-19-08!!!
cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:53 PM

This

Quoting Ziggy-Stardust:

I am pro-choice and have always been. Pro-choice is not just about abortion, its about perserving personal liberties.

Keep it safe, keep it legal.

mom2BOYZnDad
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I am Pro-choice.  I just feel that as women we should have that choice that's all.  I don't want anyone else in my business telling me what I can or can't do with my own body.  As with PP here, I agree it SHOULD NOT be used and abused as a method of birth control, I just believe that a woman should not have to have a baby that she does not want.  Have I ever had one, no.  And I don't know if I would, but I do know of a few friends over the years who were thankful to have that option there for them, regardless if they went through with it or not.

~RK

barefootNky113
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I have always been pro-life. For me the answer is simple. the baby didn't have a choice to be made... ehy should you have the choice to destroy it? that's they way i see it.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I am pro-choice due to my own experience. I was a very young girl....a child...raped, made pregnant. I had to choose the least of both evils for my life.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)