Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sitter Issues: Am I being unreasonable? POIG

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:51 PM
  • 39 Replies

Okay, so I go to pick my 23 month old DD from the sitter today. She is only there for about 3 hours 3-4 days a week. The sitter is a good friend of mine from college, who is married to a complete ahole, but we are still friends. And she has a 2 month old baby. Anyway, so I go to pick up DD today and she didn't meet me at the door like she usually does. She was in the corner of the kitchen crying. The sitter said that she was in time out because she was on the furniture. Apparently my DD is not allowed on the furniture when she is there. She was obviously upset and crying. And not like "pissed off" crying, it was her "upset, where is mama" crying. So to sum it all up, the sitter put my DD in time out, which I am not opposed to, but because she is not allowed on the furniture. And its not like a mansion formal front room. It is a floral couch in an apt. I have talked to my hubby, mom and MIL and none of us are happy. I am not taking her there anymore. What do you ladies think, am I freaking out too much??

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tommysmommy05
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

What do you mean by "on the furniture"? Was she jumping on it? Is she not allowed on it at all. Not even to sit?

Jodi

psychmama
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

She is simply not allowed on the furniture at all. There is a couch and a small overstuff chair.

Quoting tommysmommy05:

What do you mean by "on the furniture"? Was she jumping on it? Is she not allowed on it at all. Not even to sit?

Jodi

iheartmyshaman
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

What the PP said.  I would never put a kid in time out just for sitting on a sofa.

But jumping on it?  Maybe.

tommysmommy05
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:57 PM

What a bunch of BS!! I would not take my child over there if they had to always sit on the floor. This is a child not a dog!!

Jodi

shevaughnld
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Your babysitter is in the wrong if your DD was jumping or maybe eatin on the couch there is a posibillity for time out but no way for jus bein on the couch i wouldn't let her watch my kid again friend or not

Shevaughn ;}

ajswenson
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM

No you're not being unreasonable, but I'm just wondering how this issue hasn't come up before.  What is the furniture for if not to sit on??? Is there more to the story that the sitter didn't tell you?

Verarose
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

You are overreacting.  It is her house her rules.  If your DD doesn't follow the rules then yes she should be put in a time out.  If she isn't listening and doing as she is told, then yes she should be in a time out.  I'm sure she was crying and upset and wanted you.  Most kids are when they get in trouble. 

Your DD is your child and if you don't want her there then don't bring her anymore.   You might want to find out the details in a calm way before ruining a friendship.  You may have differnt parenting styles, and need to talk it out.  Even if her furniture isn't nice, it's still hers and your DD should learn to respect other peoples property.

GumboGirl
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I know you said she's your friend, but I'm not buying what she's telling you.  Or else she's not telling you the whole story.  Trust your daughter and your instincts.  You're totally right to not send her there again.  And DON'T SECOND GUESS YOURSELF!clappingIf it comes to having to 'explain' to your friend, tell her the truth and don't let her try to talk you back into bringing her there.

MommyOnLI
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM

you are over-reacting... it's very common for in-home day cares to NOT allow children on furniture.

when she is in school and she wants to climb on the teachers desk, she will not be able to... but as you said... "its a piece of furniture"

rules are rules, and she broke them.

sorry but i think you are over-reacting a bit.

Lynette
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I agree.  My mother has done an in home daycare for 25+yrs.  She has the same rule.  Could be because there isn't enough setting for all the kids on the furniture.  Could be because my mother is cooking taking care of the household so she is not watching every moment.  A child can get hurt climbing on furniture and possibly falling off.  There is also the risk of head lice.  It is something that many daycare providers that preventive measures on throughout the year.

Quoting MommyOnLI:

you are over-reacting... it's very common for in-home day cares to NOT allow children on furniture.

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of  boys ages 3 and 7 and a baby girl born 1/14/09 at home.  Living in WI. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)