Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do for a bad review w/ your job

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, not going to lie I haven't been the best job this year since I have had my daughter a year ago.  I had the fire me I don't care attitude...I just wanted to stay home w/ my baby .  I just had my yearly review and though I have been improving over the past 4 months I still got a horriable review.  My question is..... how do I improve my image to the company again?  I have been working harder, getting better @ my job and it wasn't even noticed.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Maybe you could go to the boss and acknowledge that you havent been doing your best, but your working on it and ask him if there is anything you could do to improve in his opinion.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Have an honest sit down with your superior. Tell them just what you said here. That you are aware of slacking after you had your baby, and can understand how that has resulted in a poor report, but you'd like to stay on, and ask the person to suggest ways that you can jump ahead in your job and work towards changing your next review. Don't be a kiss up, just be honest. 

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM

We did talk today during my review.... but all the things she said were stuff I had been working hard on to change and it was like she hadn't even noticed.  Sigh I jusst feel screwed either way I go.  I am not giving up though I will keep doing my best til she notices me or just get sick of me lol. 

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I would talk to your boss and ask if she'd noticed any difference in the last few months specifically.  If not, then I guess just try harder.  8 months is a long time to have a not great attitude at a work place, so a few months of improvement might not be enough to get someone's attention.  Also, they may not be expecting you to do well anymore, so they might not be looking for it.  If you are clear that you intend to keep your job and do well, they'll watch for it.

Mommy of Isabelle Rose, born 10/11/2009

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM

wish i could help hon, i've been at the same job for 8 years and no matter whether i'm the only person in my dept doing what should be 4 peoples jobs, i still got bad reviews. it doesn't matter how many days i stay late, how many weekends i work, they don't care. and of course since i've had kids that just made it worse, now i get told since i have a family i'm not a team player, so sorry that i pick my family over a job that has told me since day 1, i'm not going to be anything in the company. and really it's not because im a bad employee. after 5 years i just got to the point where no matter how hard i tried or how hard i worked, it didn't matter, i didn't get anything for it. so why put my family on hold for that??

all i can say is maybe talk to your boss, see if there's anything extra you can do. but keep in mind, it may include you staying late and things like that, that will just keep you away from your kid longer. i tried it and it made me feel worse, now i work my schedule, and come home.

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I always keep an accomplishment chart to use for annual reviews. Every time I complete a project, implement a new idea, etc., I write it down, with the date.

You can request more frequent reviews, to make sure that you and your manager are on the same page.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)