Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help swine flu question??

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:07 AM
  • 24 Replies

So i have a 17 month son and there are no places around here that have the swine flu shot available, his pediatricains office only has the nasal spray right now and my son cant have it because of his age and the fact that it is the live virus. I was ok to wait till my sons pediatrician got the shot in but now my room ate has swine flu and frankly im scared. Does anyone have any suggestions?? i am following all the rules, making my roomate where a mask, washing everything she touches with antibacterial cleanser but i am scared it isnt going to be enough. Any suggestions are welcome but please please please dont turn this into a pro-v-con bash fest about vaccination.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Renni
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:39 AM

I wouldnt even worry about getting the swine flu shot. My son had swine flu when he was 15 months old and it was no worse than the regular flu. As long as he is a healthy toddler with no medical conditions he should be fine. Use lots of lysol. wash his hands often and keep him well hydrated.

I am a ERF, EH, non vaxing, non cio, non spanking, co-sleeping, babywearing, single working mother

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:50 AM

This is so true.  My dd had it too and it was WAY less severe than seasonal flu and the Dr. said many have mild cases.  We are only hearing about the bad cases, not the thousands of mild cases.  Watch and and isolate him away from the person also.  I isolated my dd and my dh, other dd and I never got the swine flu. 

Quoting Renni:

I wouldnt even worry about getting the swine flu shot. My son had swine flu when he was 15 months old and it was no worse than the regular flu. As long as he is a healthy toddler with no medical conditions he should be fine. Use lots of lysol. wash his hands often and keep him well hydrated.

Julie132
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM

IMHO the H1N1 shot is dangerous.  It can cause paralysis just like the swine flu shot of 1976 did. This just came out in the news.  (Also check out the story of Desiree Jennings (which was from a seasonal flu shot):

MSNBC Reports Teen Boy Contracted Neurological Disorder Hours After H1N1 Vaccine

Guillain barre slide Read the full article at MSNBC HERE. A 14-year-old Virginia boy is weak and struggling to walk after coming down with a reported case of Guillain-Barre syndrome within hours after receiving the H1N1 vaccine for swine flu.

Jordan McFarland, a high school athlete from Alexandria, Va., left Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children Tuesday night in a wheelchair nearly a week after developing severe headaches, muscle spasms and weakness in his legs following a swine flu shot. He will likely need the assistance of a walker for four to six weeks, plus extensive physical therapy...

...Jordan's parents said doctors diagnosed the teen with GBS, a rare muscle disorder that develops when a person’s own immune system attacks the nerves, causing muscle weakness, difficulty walking and sometimes paralysis and death.

Hospital officials didn't dispute that the boy had GBS, but refused to comment on the boy's condition or treatment, even after his family granted permission.

“They don’t want to create a fear or panic in the community,” said Jordan's stepmother, Connin.

If Jordan had eaten a sandwich with tainted meat, would the hospital have declined to comment for fear of causing a panic in the meat eating community? 

(posted at AoA) 

ForeverInLove
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!

My family is actually refusing ANY flu shot this year, and any year after. We are actually going to begin taking supplemental Vitamin D3 instead. And, not just 400IU, but for my husband and I, we will be taking 4000IU. I still have to do my research for my son. BUT, Vitamin D3 is better and preventing you from getting the flu or even a cold, then the vaccine.

Quoting Julie132:

IMHO the H1N1 shot is dangerous.  It can cause paralysis just like the swine flu shot of 1976 did. This just came out in the news.  (Also check out the story of Desiree Jennings (which was from a seasonal flu shot):

MSNBC Reports Teen Boy Contracted Neurological Disorder Hours After H1N1 Vaccine

Guillain barre slide Read the full article at MSNBC HERE. A 14-year-old Virginia boy is weak and struggling to walk after coming down with a reported case of Guillain-Barre syndrome within hours after receiving the H1N1 vaccine for swine flu.

Jordan McFarland, a high school athlete from Alexandria, Va., left Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children Tuesday night in a wheelchair nearly a week after developing severe headaches, muscle spasms and weakness in his legs following a swine flu shot. He will likely need the assistance of a walker for four to six weeks, plus extensive physical therapy...

...Jordan's parents said doctors diagnosed the teen with GBS, a rare muscle disorder that develops when a person’s own immune system attacks the nerves, causing muscle weakness, difficulty walking and sometimes paralysis and death.

Hospital officials didn't dispute that the boy had GBS, but refused to comment on the boy's condition or treatment, even after his family granted permission.

“They don’t want to create a fear or panic in the community,” said Jordan's stepmother, Connin.

If Jordan had eaten a sandwich with tainted meat, would the hospital have declined to comment for fear of causing a panic in the meat eating community? 

(posted at AoA) 

mommyyokes
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Honestly it is not as bad as everyone thinks. All of us had it, and my husband and I were sicker than the three kids. We all made it through just fine. In a way i'm glad we had it, because now I don't have to worry about it. We still have the awful barky cough, that can last for several weeks. And all of our symptoms were different. So try not not to freak out to much mama. Keep up the preventative measures and if he does get it, keep him home and treat his symptoms. Give him lots of love and cuddles. Good luck to you.

Autumn22
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Do you take all these precautions when someone just has the "regular" flu?  Because that's all this is... a flu bug...

Load up on Vit D, Elderberry, Vit C...

happychick2525
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Quoting Julie132:

(posted at AoA) 

Are you kidding me... This is the exact reason I didn't get the H1N1 vaccine for myself or my son... This is the first I have heard of this actually happening... Why is this not ALL over the news?  Wow, if more cases pop up, I will be so madddddddddd! 

Autumn22
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM

It SHOULD be all over the news but it probably won't be.

I've tried to warn y'all! :P

Quoting happychick2525:

Quoting Julie132:

(posted at AoA) 

Are you kidding me... This is the exact reason I didn't get the H1N1 vaccine for myself or my son... This is the first I have heard of this actually happening... Why is this not ALL over the news?  Wow, if more cases pop up, I will be so madddddddddd! 

JAMNsmom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Did you check with your county family clinics?  I went to one of the county clinics and got the vaccine for my kids.  Could you take your child to stay at someone else's house for a few days?

4 kids on my son's football team have it now.  ;( I haven't yet heard how they are doing. Someone from our doctor's office said that almost all the "flu" going around here now is  swine flu.

I have heard so people say no big deal but a friend on facebook says it was the worst flu she's ever had. 

taias_ma
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM

yeah just keep up with what you are doing now.  studies have shown that just bc one person in the home has it, doesn't mean that everyone else will catch it too.  my friend's girlfriend had it but he didn't catch it, nor did her family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)