Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade Christmas

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:59 AM
  • 14 Replies

I have noooooo money, but I swore that my kids (7, 2 1/2, and 9 months) wouldn't miss a Christmas. I want to get them 1-2 things each - something that they will like, but for under maybe $15 each??

Army, girly/cooking, and whatever babies like :)

Has anyone started their shopping yet?

Also, what are some really cheap holiday gifts for family members? And can you incorporate a small Christmas photo of the kids in it?

We have about 5 kids under 5, about 5 teenagers, about 6-7 in their 40's, and 2 older people...

Any ideas?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommalori07
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM

well the good think about kids your kid's ages is that they dont care where their presents come from, i would go to a dollar store if i was you, they have a bunch of cheap little toys and you might be able to get them more than one or two things for your 15 dollar budget per child

rocamom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM

1st of all call sears or walmart to see about getting pics done there. I did my kids pics at sears last year for 5.99 and I got 35 pics.  Some of them are mini wallets but that's still a great deal.  You can also just print what you need at walmart pretty cheap as well. This year I think I'm going to take my own pics and just print cards at walmart.

As for gifts for the kids I go to Target or walmart and they have toys under $15.  Games, dolls, cars, you name it :)  They might be sort of cheap but kids don't care and honestly anything you get some kids it will be broken in about 2 hrs anyway LOL!!! Tell family not to buy for you and to only buy for your kids so then you aren't feeling guilty. That way you only buy something REALLY small for their kids.

GOOD LUCK!!!  Don't overspend or put on credit card because that will make January even harder for you.  (((HUGS)))  Last year I had a VERY TIGHT budget because my hubby was laid off for 4 weeks mid November to Mid December and I even bought my daughter something off of Craigslist so that she would have a big gift under the tree.  I thank God that my hubby actually got his job back after 4 weeks of not having a job. We were VERY blessed.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
momof3jam
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:11 AM

That's true, they have a bunch of girly dress up things and grenades (I don't buy guns) and games at the one by me... My youngest is so young that he won't really remember what I get him anyway, and he'd be happy with a teething ring lol! Maybe I'll get him one that lights up - that would make his day lol!!

Ahhh I miss when they were small, and things were simple.

Quoting mommalori07:

well the good think about kids your kid's ages is that they dont care where their presents come from, i would go to a dollar store if i was you, they have a bunch of cheap little toys and you might be able to get them more than one or two things for your 15 dollar budget per child

I am a happily married mother of
2 beautiful boys and one pretty princess. Formula and breastfeeding on demand, disposable diapering, cio, spoil my children rotten, dog-loving, Facebooking,
tattoo loving, college educated, vaxing, pro-choice, and currently a stay at home mama, with morals and heart.

olivejuicebby
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Quoting mommalori07:

Great idea! And they have a lot of awesome stuff there! Bake cookies with them, too. Or make a gingerbread house. Memories can be made without all kinds of presents!! =)

Photobucket

MamaSyn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM

For the younger girls, if you look on YouTube you can find videos on how to make no-sew tutus.  It will cost you maybe $8 to make a full tutu.  Tulle (the fabric you use) is around $.99/yd at the wal-mart out by us so you can put in all the colors you want.  Plus, if you're handy with a needle and thread, you can make an elastic waistband and they can wear it for years.

Domzmom2005
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:19 AM

You could always have the kids make cards and put pictures of them in the cards. I'm sure family would understand that money is tight and will probably appreciate the homemade gifts better because it is more personal.

baby

baby

MamaSyn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:19 AM

One more thing: for the kids, have you considered not really getting presents, but doing a fun day with them?  For my son, instead of presents for his birthday he got a day at chuck-e-cheese's (not something we could normally afford to do too often).  Maybe there's somewhere they wanted to go?  "Santa" could even drop off passes, if it's something that requires them. 

AutymsMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM

If I were you I would concentrate a bit more on the oldest child.... she/he is the only one who is old enough to really notice that there isn't much under the tree. The 2 year old would probably be quite thrilled with a pop-up board book! And a new character sippy cup for the 9 month old.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

MamaSyn
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM

LOL.... ok, this is my last one:  You could take each of their hands and trace them on construction paper.  You can even write their names and the year on each of the hands.  Then cut them out and form them into a wreath.  Then, take the christmas pic, put it in the center and laminate the whole thing.  Then punch a hole in the top, add a string and you have an instant christmas tree ornament for family members. 

momof3jam
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM

That's kind of what I was looking forward to - memories they'll remember. Because years down the road, they're not going to remember the gifts, but they'll remember the times we shared. Do you have any fun things you do together??

Quoting olivejuicebby:

Quoting mommalori07:

Great idea! And they have a lot of awesome stuff there! Bake cookies with them, too. Or make a gingerbread house. Memories can be made without all kinds of presents!! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)