Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Those attending online classes...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

Please tell me how long your course sessions are.  Its one of the criteria I want to use when picking my next school (I'm finishing up an Associates Degree at CTU, but I want to transfer to a school w/ more degree programs for my Bachelor's, CTU is 5 weeks).  I know from reading posts here that University of Phoenix is 9 weeks.  Any others, please weigh in, including Kaplan and whatever else.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom23luvs
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Columbia College  8 week sessions

mrsmilander
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I attend Kaplan. I love it. Its 10wk terms with 2 classes at a time or more if you want but tech 9 since the 10th week is normally just an optional discussion board.Another thing to think about is textbooks are included and you sometimes get Ebooks or books sent in the mail to use.

I have also attended Ashford and hated it because you had to find customized texts. But theres is 5 wks and I always had a lot of work to do in those. Plus, one class at a time.

Pregnancy ticker

Happily Married since October 12, 2006

I am a pro-life, anti-gun, anti-war, pro-spanking, pro-CIO,pro-circumcision, bi-sexual but monogamous, emergency & planned c-section, pro-cosleeping, breastfeeding, anti-cloth diaper, depression battling, anxiety battling, stay at home, online schooling, redheaded, opinionated mommy! If you don't like it, click your damn heels together, say "i need a life" and get over it!

mama2conor
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Quoting mrsmilander:

I attend Kaplan. I love it. Its 10wk terms with 2 classes at a time or more if you want but tech 9 since the 10th week is normally just an optional discussion board.Another thing to think about is textbooks are included and you sometimes get Ebooks or books sent in the mail to use.

I have also attended Ashford and hated it because you had to find customized texts. But theres is 5 wks and I always had a lot of work to do in those. Plus, one class at a time.

Yeah CTU is like that too w/ the textbooks.  I just got my textbook for the class I'm starting next week (other class uses an Ebook).  Funny thing is that I could have just used DH's book because he took the same course a couple of sessions ago. :p  But I can sell back and get a refund, so its cool.  I looked over Kaplan, but couldn't get much info off of the website, I guess you have to contact them.  But I'm not going to contact anyone until I'm near to finishing my Associates.

BaileynMe
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:25 AM

I'm at CTU, lol, so you already know that answer! 

sherry132
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Virginia college online is 11 weeks.

How on earth do you do a semesters worth of work in only 5 weeks.

I've been thinking about getting off line because there is so much school work to do in one week that I'm having a hard time keeping up.

But I really like this school.  

rkoloms
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you.  Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Robin in Chicago

mama2conor
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Quoting sherry132:

Virginia college online is 11 weeks.

How on earth do you do a semesters worth of work in only 5 weeks.

I've been thinking about getting off line because there is so much school work to do in one week that I'm having a hard time keeping up.

But I really like this school.  

Yeah, that's DH's and my biggest complaint.  Everything is crammed into such a short period of time that we don't feel as if we're really learning anything.  It really frustrates him.

mama2conor
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you.  Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

How do you find out which schools are for-profit?

I've looked at our local community colleges (one doesn't even seem to offer any online courses), and unfortunately their selections are pretty limited too.  They have nothing that I want to take.

momof3jam
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 1:57 AM

University of Phoenix is a total waste of time (and lots of money). I just finally was able to get away from them, but they still call. Bad experience, and the more I've asked around, there are many people that have had bad experiences too - even the bank that originally helped me sign up for the student loans... I'd watch out with them...

I am a happily married mother of
2 beautiful boys and one pretty princess. Formula and breastfeeding on demand, disposable diapering, cio, spoil my children rotten, dog-loving, Facebooking,
tattoo loving, college educated, vaxing, pro-choice, and currently a stay at home mama, with morals and heart.

mama2conor
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Quoting momof3jam:

University of Phoenix is a total waste of time (and lots of money). I just finally was able to get away from them, but they still call. Bad experience, and the more I've asked around, there are many people that have had bad experiences too - even the bank that originally helped me sign up for the student loans... I'd watch out with them...

Yeah I haven't really heard too many good things about them, so I'm trying to avoid them.  I know there are more schools out there, so that's why I'm trying to get a good feel for things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)