Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

God does NOT need my money

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:18 PM
  • 91 Replies

Yesterday I let my son go to church with his friend. We are not a church family, my husband doesnt beleive in God and I have a problem with organized religion. I like to beleive what the bible says and not be told by someone else how I should be our what THEY think the bible is saying. Everyone has an idea of what it could mean and no ones idea is right or wrong. Free will is a good thing and I practice it when it comes to my beleifs. 
I dont have a problem with my kids going to church with their friends though. Its up to them how they want do beleive and learn.
Anyway he went yesterday and he had fun. He doesnt really remember much of what went on, but he does remember about what they told him about the "giving envelope" they made in Sunday School.  They told him that people give money because God needs it. It even says it on the envelope.  And that he should give half his allowance to God because its wat God wants.
I have been to churches as a youngster too and have been told pretty much the same thing.
Kids actually think the money is going to GOD and that God needs it, and I feel that the churches are misleading the children into thinking like that.
Now I dont have a problem with giving money, I have a problem with what they tell the kids to get them to give away half their money. I think it is wrong to decieve a child into thinking God needs their allowances that they worked hard for.

After hearing my son tell me the God wants his money and reading the envelope I sat him down and explained the real reason people give money.
I told him that God does not need money, that he doesnt use money in heaven where he lives.
I told him that the people who want the money is the church. That they need it so they can pay for bills and rent and stuff like that.  I told him that the church has to pay for the same types of things that we have to pay for in our house.  I also told him that God does not want him to give all his money to the church, that God is happy when people help other people. Giving things to others who are in need.
I told him that if he wants to give some money the next time he goes then that is up to him but he does not HAVE to. God will not be mad at him if he doesnt give money.

So anyway, what do you think? what would you have said? DO you think its ok for churches to tell kids that its God that wants their money? SHould the churches be truthful with the children?
Just opinions no judging thanks and please try not to be rude.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taias_ma
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:21 PM

bump for now

Elyce225
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I also don't believe in organized religion. I'm catholic and when the church told us they wanted 10% of our income I was done. They built a 2 million dollar church with all the "donations". I would've told my kids the same thing you did.

JessecaLynn
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:38 PM

i go to a catholic church, and I do not feel one bit guilty if I can not afford to give to the church.  We give when we can and that is it.  I think what you told your child was good.  I believe that God wants us to help those in need, and yes the church can be part of that too but it should be something you believe in supporting. 

lilblufrog
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I grew up going to church and my grandfather is a pastor of that church. He NEVER said it was for God. He said it was for the church and the church is representing God so I see why they said it that way, but it is very misleading. Especially to young children. I think you do the right thing by explaining it to him.

I am a emergency c-section, extended formula feeding, cloth/disposable diapering, extended rear facing, sign language teaching, miscarriage survivor (x2), mama to a miracle baby girl who has 2 middle names! (11-19-07)

sarah_ruffner
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I think what you told him is great.  We ARE a church family and I have NEVER heard any church tell the children that the money is for God.  That is INSANE!!!  My children know that our offering of money goes to the church to help pay for the bills and the crafts they do and so on and so forth.  I can't imagine telling a young child that their money goes to God.  My 5 year old has issues with giving money to needy people that he can see......he would be furious if I told him he had to give it to God!!! lol

CODYSMOM_00
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Quoting lilblufrog:

I grew up going to church and my grandfather is a pastor of that church. He NEVER said it was for God. He said it was for the church and the church is representing God so I see why they said it that way, but it is very misleading. Especially to young children. I think you do the right thing by explaining it to him.

same here, my church says the same thing.

glitterteaz
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I have a big prob with organized religions and the bible (I mean the thing is written by man and has been picked apart more than a turkey on thanksgiving)  I think what you did was the right thing to do. I also have a big problem with the fact what they did was flat out lie to him (hypocrites much) anyhow you are very much in the right on this one!

"Christians. Can't live with 'em, can't feed them to the lions anymore."

CoeyG
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Quoting JSVDP:

Yesterday I let my son go to church with his friend. We are not a church family, my husband doesnt beleive in God and I have a problem with organized religion. I like to beleive what the bible says and not be told by someone else how I should be our what THEY think the bible is saying. Everyone has an idea of what it could mean and no ones idea is right or wrong. Free will is a good thing and I practice it when it comes to my beleifs. 
I dont have a problem with my kids going to church with their friends though. Its up to them how they want do beleive and learn.
Anyway he went yesterday and he had fun. He doesnt really remember much of what went on, but he does remember about what they told him about the "giving envelope" they made in Sunday School.  They told him that people give money because God needs it. It even says it on the envelope.  And that he should give half his allowance to God because its wat God wants.
I have been to churches as a youngster too and have been told pretty much the same thing.
Kids actually think the money is going to GOD and that God needs it, and I feel that the churches are misleading the children into thinking like that.
Now I dont have a problem with giving money, I have a problem with what they tell the kids to get them to give away half their money. I think it is wrong to decieve a child into thinking God needs their allowances that they worked hard for.

After hearing my son tell me the God wants his money and reading the envelope I sat him down and explained the real reason people give money.
I told him that God does not need money, that he doesnt use money in heaven where he lives.
I told him that the people who want the money is the church. That they need it so they can pay for bills and rent and stuff like that.  I told him that the church has to pay for the same types of things that we have to pay for in our house.  I also told him that God does not want him to give all his money to the church, that God is happy when people help other people. Giving things to others who are in need.
I told him that if he wants to give some money the next time he goes then that is up to him but he does not HAVE to. God will not be mad at him if he doesnt give money.

So anyway, what do you think? what would you have said? DO you think its ok for churches to tell kids that its God that wants their money? SHould the churches be truthful with the children?
Just opinions no judging thanks and please try not to be rude.

The main reason I do not attend church is the collection plate.   To me if you're going to charge me to come in sit and listen to "the word of god" or a reasonable facsimile then do so so up front.  Like the theatre or a concert.  Don't stand out front, shake my hand and welcome me inside  and THEN when I'm settled in and comfortable shove that plate in my face.  I wonder if 2,000 years ago while he was giving HIS sermons Christ charged.

meriana
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:28 PM

What you said was perfect.  I have a real problem with churches tithing anyway. I can't remember the wording but Christ did tell his followers that what they received was given to them free and they should give it to others free. As far as anyone giving money, or anything else, it was to be because they wanted to, NOT because they were told to or made to feel they had to.

Years ago, my dh's grandmother went to a church for many years. (which one in not important). Then in her old age, she became ill and was unable to attend services. After some time had   passed, the minister, pastor or whatever he was, contacted her son. He didn't even ask where she had been or how she was, he simply wanted to know why the church had not been receiving her tithings.

babie113
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM

i think its really low of a church asking children for there money ...

i mean come on they are just kids .

i don't believe in organised religion either .this is one of my problems with it ...

to give like 10 percent of your paycheck is too much i mean think about how many ppl go to that church .my ex even allowed his church to take the 10 percent right out of his bank account automatically every month i this its disgusting

they make money unjustly i think jesus dident charge a fee for his wisdom why should they .i understand churches are buissneses .they need some money to operate .but not 10 percent of everyones paycheck .thats bull

the church i went to as a child never told me i had to give anything but they did take money off my mom over n over

they bled my family dry one time she was told by the pastor that god told him she had to write a check to him for 2000 pounds and she did

my dad divorced her and left the church .

after my dad left it got worse and the pastor always called my dad the devil he said "that man has the devil in him "

a few weeks later the pastor bought a new home in Denmark and he ran off with the churches money ....

that was it for me lol .but asking kids to give money is crossing the line ...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)