Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you ever consider doing this?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM
  • 22 Replies

Have you ever noticed that some times your children have more toys than they need or even play with any more?  What do you do with all of those toys when your child is done with them?

I remember when we were children (I'm the oldest of 4), before the holidays began we had to go through all of our toys and fill up a big box, and I do mean big, with all of the toys we no longer played with, or just didn't want.  They couldn't be broken or in bad shape.  Our mom would than take this box of toys to toys for tots to donate.  She wouldn't even really start holiday shopping until we did this.  Her reasoning was that there were so many children that were not going to get anything for the holidays because they're parent couldn't afford it, and we had more than enough to share.  If we didn't give we didn't receive.

The box usually made it to toys for tots.  I say usually because there was one year when it didn't.  I don't think I'll ever forget that year.  Mom had just loaded up the box, and it was the biggest we had ever pulled together (all 4 of us could have fit in that box together we tried to see), she had to stop at the grocery store before going to toys for tots.  She said as she was walking out of the Giant there were a couple standing there holding a sign stating the husband had just been laid off and they couldn't afford gifts for their 3 children for Christmas.  They were willing to accept any kind of help any one offered.  Mom offered them our box of toys.  The parents didn't care that they were used, they were just so greatful to have something to give their children Christmas morning.  Mom said they walked away with the box in tears and so did she.  She said about a week after Christmas she was back at the Giant, as she was leaving she noticed the husband standing outside the grocery store like he was looking for some one.  Mom walked up to him and asked him if he needed help.  Apparently he recognized her immediately.  He told her how much his children loved the presents they had received.  They didn't notice that they weren't in original boxes and any of it.  He said that his children were so happy Christmas morning he just had to find her and thank her again for giving his children a good Christmas.  Again mom cried the whole way home.

We kept up that tradition until we no longer received toys and toys for tots changed to only taking new, in the box toys.

Have you considered having your children donate their old toys before the holidays begin?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM

We do it every year...not toys for tots though because those have to be new in the package.

wedding website

CrazyProudMa
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM

yes, that's a great idea!! My son is only 16 months so he doesn't understand, but we are going through his toys this weekend!!!

itscool2recycle
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:13 PM

i thought about that b/c my kids leave the mess of toys they never play with all over the floor and just play with the same 4 toys everyday. might as well give them to kids that will play with them. They are all baby toys and my kids are getting out the baby stage.

preemiemommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:15 PM

i just took a bunch of aidens toys to the YWCA and donated them.  they've been having ads in the paper saying that they have a lot of women comingin with small children and are running out of supplies for them, and needed new beds, plates cups stuff like that.  so we donated a bunch of toys :) 

My eggo is preggo!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
callalily417
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I have thought bout that but we have no children yet. Just expecting our first. It's great that your family did that every year.

Pregnancy ticker

monshine2
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Awesome story! I have had my DD (now 13) clear out all unused and unwanted toys to donate.... It's a great way to clear out the old while helping... 

ajswenson
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I do that a couple times as year just as I'm cleaning, and then both of my kids birthdays are right before the holidays.  I actually told them yesterday that they have to each pick out the same number of toys as how old they old ( 4 toys for 4 years) to give to someone who doesn't have so many toys.  Little do they realize that as soon as they get that done for their birthdays, they get to turn around and do it for Christmas. 

We have women's help center here that takes all sorts of infant and toddler toys, so I give a lot to them.  Also, we are giving our next box to a friend's church.  They are always in need of new toys in chruch nurseries and such.

tinkerbelle18
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM

We do that too but we donate to local shelters or the Salvation Army stores. Thats a great story about your mom. Thats what the season is all about. i'm glad she could help that family.

KallmeKrazee
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Ours is donated to the domestic violence shelter. Those moms and kids usually have to leave on a whim, and usually have nothing except for the clothes on their backs.  I give them clothes, blankets, shoes, and I buy new socks and undies for them as well. We do this all year, but we do extra for the holidays.

cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

This is a great idea.  I think I will take my daughter's unused toys to our shelter this year.  She also has a bike she has outgrown do you think they would accept it?  My daughter is a getting a new bike for Christmas and she no longer needs her smaller one.  I need a good way for her to pass it on to someone else.  Maybe this would be the best way :)

Quoting KallmeKrazee:

Ours is donated to the domestic violence shelter. Those moms and kids usually have to leave on a whim, and usually have nothing except for the clothes on their backs.  I give them clothes, blankets, shoes, and I buy new socks and undies for them as well. We do this all year, but we do extra for the holidays.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)