Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First dentist appointment

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter had her first dentist appointment today. She just turned 2. They mentioned that she had a slight overbite but they would wait until she was a little older to "work on it". I know I should have asked but he kinda rushed out of the room. (It was extremely busy.) What does that mean? Will she have a retainer?

I am a emergency c-section, extended formula feeding, cloth/disposable diapering, extended rear facing, sign language teaching, miscarriage survivor (x2), mama to a miracle baby girl who has 2 middle names! (11-19-07)

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapcounter
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM

It means they are waiting for her permanent teeth to come in and see if her jaw grows and corrects itself. If not she may need braces it is hard to tell without really knowing her situation and seeing her. I was a dental asst. for over 10 years, if you have anymore questions feel free to PM any questions.

maciymommieof3
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:32 PM

OMG...........now they are dx'ing that at 2? Goodness...wait...just wait..you got a while to go..My twins just turned 7 and my one girl has a "cross bite" and he told me to go to the orthodontist 2 years ago....Heck...she is only 7....I did not get my braces till I was 13.....I would hold off.....but again...thats just MY OPINION....

It's the Cafe..and thats where its happening!

Join us at The Cafe

Cafe Group Mod

come and join the fun......and you thought the Newcomers group was fun...Ha...

Do you love Christmas?

check this out.

maciymommieof3
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I would take her advice....she is the expert....  :)

Quoting lapcounter:

It means they are waiting for her permanent teeth to come in and see if her jaw grows and corrects itself. If not she may need braces it is hard to tell without really knowing her situation and seeing her. I was a dental asst. for over 10 years, if you have anymore questions feel free to PM any questions.

It's the Cafe..and thats where its happening!

Join us at The Cafe

Cafe Group Mod

come and join the fun......and you thought the Newcomers group was fun...Ha...

Do you love Christmas?

check this out.

Elyce225
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Oh I have a question. I got three of my wisdom teeth out a couple years ago. They couldnt take out my left bottom one because a nerve was wrapped around it. They said if it gets infected/tries to come through they will have to take it out. Ok well its starting to feel a little painful, Im SUPER scared that they will want to take it out and cut the nerve.  What are the damages going to be if they cut the nerve?

Quoting lapcounter:

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM

The thing is they are starting children younger now a days on ortho work, she may not necessarily be in braces but some other type of appliance of course it will not be until she is a little older, around first, second grade. I agree with the other poster they did not do things until we were teens back in the day but things have changed a great deal.

jenn31
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Mine told me that I would for sure need braces. My teeth are super straight. As for my dd they told her she has a side bite. I have no idea if I"m saying that right. Here is the picture of our first visit, her dentist was dressed a sponge bob.

God Help Us.

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Sorry that is really hard to say, I would for sure go to an oral surgeon to have it removed and not a general dentist. Simple reason, oral surgeons deal with this type of thing all the time.Sorry I could not give you more of an answer, I worked for a general dentist and all wisdom teeth that involved a nerve like that we referred out.

Quoting Elyce225:

Oh I have a question. I got three of my wisdom teeth out a couple years ago. They couldnt take out my left bottom one because a nerve was wrapped around it. They said if it gets infected/tries to come through they will have to take it out. Ok well its starting to feel a little painful, Im SUPER scared that they will want to take it out and cut the nerve.  What are the damages going to be if they cut the nerve?

Quoting lapcounter:

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Ahh how cute!

Quoting jenn31:

Mine told me that I would for sure need braces. My teeth are super straight. As for my dd they told her she has a side bite. I have no idea if I"m saying that right. Here is the picture of our first visit, her dentist was dressed a sponge bob.

Elyce225
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Oh no, thanks anyway.

Sorry for hi-jacking your post OP.

Quoting lapcounter:

Sorry that is really hard to say, I would for sure go to an oral surgeon to have it removed and not a general dentist. Simple reason, oral surgeons deal with this type of thing all the time.Sorry I could not give you more of an answer, I worked for a general dentist and all wisdom teeth that involved a nerve like that we referred out.

Quoting Elyce225:

Quoting lapcounter:

Bennett121
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Dont freak out just yet, little one has a lot of growing to do. Maybe it will correct itself.

I had an appliance when I was 6, it was a single wire along the bottom teeth. I also had braces, retainers, surgery etc. (My situation is unique in that I was born with cleft palate) Hopefully your little one will not need anything.

I do know there are a lot of options out there to correct and realign teeth, underbite, and overbite.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)