Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epileptic performer stops taking meds, tries to induce a seizure onstage....

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM
  • 3 Replies

Poll

Question: ?????

Options:

Attention whore

Dedicated artist

In need of psychological evaluation

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

This might be going to extremes to bring awareness to epilepsy...attention whore or dedicated artist? What do you think?

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/arts_entertainment/performing_arts/epileptic+performer+tries+to+induce+a+fit/3460237

Rita Marcalo is a dancer. Her performance is to be spontaneous and unrehearsed - it is called Involuntary Dances.

To be more precise - she has stopped taking her anti-seizure medication and she will use flashing lights, sleep deprivation and loud music to try to bring on an epileptic fit.

Captured on cameras and projected on the walls for the audience to view, Rita says it is all about making a hidden condition visible.

The performance of which she is just one part will last for 24 hours. She will have medical supervision at all times, but these precautions are not enough to deflect criticism.

The National Society for Epilepsy has sent a letter pointing out the risks of the event to Ms Marcalo, urging her to reconsider her plans and warned her of the dangers, which it claimed could even include sudden unexpected death.

The charity has also warned the performer that her show could encourage other young people to follow her example with "tragic consequences".

The performance has been partly funded through Lottery money via the Arts Council, which has awarded a grant of nearly £14,000 to the dance artist to research and tour the show.

By displaying this experience so publicly, Ms Marcalo wants to challenge and provoke the viewer - she says she wants people to confront and question their fear of the condition.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
nicki02
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:41 AM

i have seizures and i think this is wrong in so many ways. first it is irresponsable. dose she injoy having seizures?I know i dont. this is something very serious and dangerous. she is acting like her illness is a joke and its not well not. she is just using this as a way to get attention. I personaly dont like it when i have seizures in front of people  i find it imbarasing. not because i have this proble but because i want to have a normal life and i dont want people to view me in another way or say they feel bad for me. I want no pitty from anyone. just because you have an illness dose not mean you should use it as a way to make money and it can be verry diffacult for some people to handel. Be proud of who you are no matter what problems u may have but dont force your problems on other people.

aridattebayo
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I'm an epileptic too and I don't think of having a seizure as any form of art, in fact it's quite disturbing for most to see (especially your loved ones and family- hell I can't even watch people having "seizures" on television shows). While I am all about epilepsy  awareness and trying to challenge people's fears of the condition, I am not about irresponsibility and putting one's life at risk for the sake of "art".

Five words for this "artist" - TAKE YOUR EFFING MEDICINES, WOMAN. Seriously. Find another way to provoke and challenge people's thoughts without endangering yourself.

Hopefully someone put her in a psychological institution after this.

one very metal mommy to a mini-metalhead - Arianna (1/15/07) \m/

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:36 AM

This is insane. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)