• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help choosing an electric guitar?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM
  • 3 Replies

My teen son wants an electric guitar for Christmas.  He has never played a musical instrument. Have any of you had experience with electric guitars?  I have no idea what to get!!!  I would appreciate any ideas you my have!

Thank you!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
faeryheart
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:19 AM

My middle son taught himself how to play when he was 12 (he's 16 now), his favorite guitar is a Fender Strat. You'll need an amp, again Fender has the best sound, and a guitar strap, extra strings, Brody likes Dean Markley, picks, a case, a stand. If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

acissejessica
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:24 AM

fender strat is expensive, I think, you can get an ibanez for 100 sometimes less, and they are decent guitars. People would see my ibanez and say ooo you have an ibanez. I had a fender strat also, but I liked my ibanez more, I think because it was my first guitar and I was comfortable with it, but I liked it.

I'm Slow

Join us in the Pregnancy Group

Jessica, Pregnancy Group Mod

shepard.lilley
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Since he's never played before, and I don't know your budget, I would suggest a Fender or Peavey starter pack. It comes with everything you need, including guitar, amp, and all accessories. They usually run about a hundred bucks. Pawn shops are also good, because he can play it before you buy it and see if he likes the feel of that specific guitar- everyone has their favorite feel. As he progresses, he'll want pedals and definitely a nicer guitar [decent ones are at least 300], but you've got a while before that becomes an issue. :] This is what I do for a living, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me. And good for you for supporting his interests!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)