Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

36 weeks pregnant and the flu? Ooooh eff.

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:42 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm 36 weeks pregnant.  Woke up at 5:30 not feeling well but was able to get back to sleep.  Woke up at 6:30 and have been vomiting about every 15 minutes - 1/2 hour since then.  It's 12:41pm here now.  I had diarrhea earlier but that has subsided.  I also feel like I might have a fever.  I'm rather cold and I'm NEVER cold in this apartment.  Can't find a thermometer.  Sound like the flu to you?  Could just be a virus.  I dunno, but I'm afraid I'm gonna get dehydrated.

by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Doesn't sound like the flu. Sounds like a cold. You should let you Dr know.

Autumn22
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Quoting Elyce225:

A cold?  I've never been sick to my stomach like this over a cold before.

jziegler
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Sounds more like the flu to me..Or maybe you just ate something last night that didn't agree with you..But I would call the dr and let them know that you are vomitting like that..They may want you to come in so they can give you some fluids! Take care

autumnsmommy02
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Possibly a stomach flu. Try sipping on clear fluids throughout the day. Sprite usually works best for me and it's caffeine free. Water for some reason upsets my stomach even more. If you have trouble keeping fluids down I'd call the OB to see what he/she says.

Hope you feel better soon.

Autumn22
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Talked to somebody on the phone.  They want me to go to the hospital to the ER to be admitted for observation and to be hooked up to ivs. 

I knew I was gonna die during this pregnancy. :P :(

CariO.
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Well last week I became the expert of this crap.  I'm 32 weeks pregnant with TWINS and got a terrible flu.  I found out how quickly a pregnant mom carrying twins gets dehydrated (even though I tried and tried to replenish my fluids)!  It only took 12 hours for me to get SUPER dehydrated from vomiting and diarrhea!  BH contractions came on strong, every 2-4 minutes lasting over an hour, so I was told to go to labor & delivery at the hospital.  I had to be given a shot to stop my contractions, an IV (2 LITERS!!!) to replenish the fluids, and Tylenol to get my fever down, which was up to 101.  Anyway, I was in the hospital all afternoon, 3 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., then released.  But the misery continued at home.  I still suffered with chest congestion, diarrhea, coughing, etc., until on Saturday I went to a walk-in clinic and got an antibiotic.  Yesterday I finally was feeling better!  So the flu bug lasted 6 whole frickin' days!  And that was on top of a very miserable existence I have in this 3rd trimester carrying twins -- so much pain, aches and acid reflux...  It was by far the worst Christmas of my life.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Geez good luck, that's good that they want you to come in. Make sure you take care of yourself. Who is going to watch your girls?

trist22
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

uh yeah.. sounds like she has cold and flu mixed up! Cold symptoms usually don't include vomiting and diarrea ( sp)!

Quoting Autumn22:

Quoting Elyce225:

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Uh no actually I didn't, usually the flu makes your bones ache. Which she didn't mention. And yes a cold can make your ass spew. Trust me, working in the hospital during cold/flu season you see a lot of peope who have a cold that think it's the flu..and it's not. The reason they are telling her to come in is because she is pregnant.

Quoting trist22:

uh yeah.. sounds like she has cold and flu mixed up! Cold symptoms usually don't include vomiting and diarrea ( sp)!

Quoting Autumn22:

Quoting Elyce225:

autumnsmommy02
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I personally wouldn't say this is a cold or flu but a stomach virus or stomach upset due to a virus, or something ingested. (which most ppl. refer to as the flu/stomach flu) Most ppl. think the stoamch flu (gastroenteritis) is the flu. Many don't realize the flu actually includes respiratory symptoms. All my friends actually thought the flu shot they get every year is for the stomach virus that causes puking and diarrhea with fever instead of the real flu which causes aches, fever, chills, respiratory trouble, etc. 

Anyway it goes ... it's not worth arguing because she's headed in to get fluids and be taken care of. Just hope she's better soon and both her and baby are back with us here at CM soon!

Quoting Elyce225:

Uh no actually I didn't, usually the flu makes your bones ache. Which she didn't mention. And yes a cold can make your ass spew. Trust me, working in the hospital during cold/flu season you see a lot of peope who have a cold that think it's the flu..and it's not. The reason they are telling her to come in is because she is pregnant.

Quoting trist22:

Quoting Autumn22:

Quoting Elyce225:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN